The Importance of Education
It is no secret that a good education has the power to change a life. What is new is the demand for that change.
Governments are investing more than ever before on educating their citizens, eager for them to compete in the global workforce. A growing global middle class is spending more of its own money on educating their families. Employers are looking for a new sort of colleague - someone with the skills to flourish in the 21st century. Combined with technologies that continue to develop at breakneck speed, the result is a world that has the want, and the means, to learn at scale.
Yet there is so much to be done. One in five adults lack the written communication skills they need to progress in life, and 57 million children do not know what it's like to step inside a classroom. Many millions more are in education, but not learning effectively.
The global challenge for education is not just about providing access, but also ensuring progress.
As the world’s leading learning company, we can help make a difference. But we also know that the challenges are too immense to tackle alone. So we're fostering a global community of teachers, parents, students, governments, institutions and businesses, who can help us find the answers and deploy the solutions.
Our Efficacy Growth and Impact Goals are one of the ways we’re working to effect change. Together with our global community, we aim to empower the lives of 200 million learners annually by 2025 through:
Access: We will help enable access to high quality education leading to defined learner outcomes.
- 1A: By 2025, we will help 10 million primary and secondary learners access high quality education annually.
- 1B: By 2025, we will help 2 million post-secondary learners access high quality education annually.
Success: We will help more learners gain the knowledge and skills required for success in the 21st Century.
- 2A: By 2025, we will help increase the literacy and/or numeracy levels of 50 million learners annually.
- 2B: By 2025, we will help 50 million learners gain the knowledge and skills required for study and employment annually.
- 2C: By 2025, we will help improve the English language skills of 75 million learners annually.
Progress: We will help more people make measurable progress in their life and career through learning.
- 3A: By 2025, we will help 25 million learners transition into the workforce after higher or further education annually.
- 3B: By 2025, we will help 20 million learners improve their career prospects annually.
Since launching our efficacy journey publicly in 2013, more than 80 of our biggest and most strategic products are well on their way to making improvements or helping Pearson grow on a global scale.
This growth, and the profits it brings, will help us invest in improving education for everyone—creating a better world for us all.
Take a closer look: