Year Levels F–8
Curriculum ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA
Resource Formats Print
Learning Focus Professional books
Last Updated Jan 2023
What it is
Jennifer Serravallo’s resources include tools and strategies to assess and improve learners’ reading and writing skills in different learning environments. These highly accessible texts are designed to fast-track you to implementation so your time with students is well spent and progress focused. Jennifer Serravallo’s resources include:
- Professional books designed to develop your reading and writing instruction skills using the latest in literacy thinking.
- Classroom Essentials books focus on essential student-centred practices that help you prioritise time with learners.
What it includes
Discover what’s inside Jennifer Serravallo’s Classroom Essentials and professional books.
The Reading Strategies Book 2.0
The Reading Strategies Book 2.0 is your research-based guide to developing skilled readers.
The Reading Strategies Book 2.0 has been dramatically improved and is designed to be a trusted, research-aligned companion for any K–8 reading classroom – no matter your curriculum, subject area, or instructional approach.
Features and benefits:
- more explicit connections to research with a research base of 700+ studies citations for each strategy and meticulously researched all new introduction chapter
- the latest instructional thinking including 300+ lessons comprising almost 100 new lessons, with all other lessons heavily revised
- goal-focused, if–then skills progressions targeting the exact strategy for each reader, and simplifying and streamlining planning and monitoring progress.
Teaching Writing in Small Groups
Find out how just a few minutes of purposeful, responsive teaching can have a big impact with your students. Jen shows how to create groups for maximum effectiveness and make what you teach responsive, clear, and sticky.
Understanding Texts and Readers
Easily untangle the threads of comprehension so you can make smarter teaching decisions and match kids to books. Apply learnings from The Reading Strategies Book to fourteen text levels and discover sample responses that show what to expect from each.
The Writing Strategies Book
Whether you use Writing Workshop, 6+1 Traits, Daily 5’s “Work on Writing,” a scripted writing program, the writing exercises in your basal, or any other approach, you’ll discover a treasure chest of ways to work with whole classes, small groups, or individual writers.
A Teacher's Guide to Reading Conferences
Learn how one-on-one, student-centred teaching practices can help literacy learners progress. In this text, Jennifer Serravallo breaks down the importance of conferences and how to structure and fit them into your literacy block. It can help you answer important questions that include:
- Why are reading conferences so important?
- What do effective reading conferences look and sound like?
- How do I fit reading conferences into my literacy block?
Samples & downloads
- Jennifer Serravallo - The Reading Strategies Book sample
- The Reading Strategies Book 2.0 Companion Charts - Sample Pages
- Jennifer Serravallo - Teaching Writing in Small Groups sample
- Jennifer Serravallo - Understanding Texts and Readers sample
- Jennifer Serravallo - The Writing Strategies Book sample
- Classroom Essentials - A Teacher's Guide to Reading Conferences sample