Year Levels 3–6
Curriculum ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA
Resource Formats Print, Digital
Learning Focus First Nations, Shared reading, Guided reading
What it is
Created in partnership with the SharingStories Foundation, Sharing Our Stories features:
- one First Nation community from each state or territory, including the Torres Strait Islands
- a story illustrated by children from the local community which is presented in the community language
- supporting Teacher Resource books
- free support materials including videos and learning activities.
What it includes
Learn more about the resources included in Sharing Our Stories.
Sharing Our Stories books
There are 2 series with 6 titles in each series focusing on one First Nation community from each state or territory. Each title includes:
- a unique story shared by the local community with important messages
- stunning illustrations by children from the local community
- the story retold in the community’s local language.
Each series has one Teacher Resource book which contains:
- background notes about the content of each book
- lesson plans, ideas for discussion and activities, including blackline masters
- audio CD with narrated stories from the books and songs*
- samples of the original language in which the stories are told.
*Please ensure you have a device that will play this CD before purchase.
View films from the eight communities featured in Sharing Our Stories Series 2.
The Danger Seed, Western Australia
A short film from the Karajarri community, located in the Kimberley region of Western Australia.
Djulpan, Northern Territory
A short film from the Yolngu community, located in the Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory.
The Story of Girbar, Torres Strait
A short film from the Saibai community, located on the island of Saibai in the Torres Strait.
Miiku and Tinta, Queensland
A short film from the Lockheart River community, located north of Cairns in Queensland.
The Moon and the Gecko, New South Wales
A short film from the Paakantji country, which includes Wilcannia on the Darling River in New South Wales.
Yulu’s Coal, South Australia
A short film from Adnyamathanha country, located in the northern Flinders Ranges in South Australia.
Bunjil the Eagle, Victoria
A short film from Jarra country, located in western-central Victoria.
The Creation of Trowenna, Tasmania
A short film from the Neunone people of Bruny Island, located off the south-eastern coast of Tasmania.
Recipient of Pro Bono Australia’s Innovator Award
Celebrating the work of Liz Thompson
The Sharing Our Stories series was created by Liz Thompson, winner of the Judges Award for Innovator in the 2021 Pro Bono Impact Awards. This award recognised her work with Indigenous communities in the recording and sharing of cultural knowledge and stories.Read more about Liz's work
Samples & downloads
Explore learning activities and sample pages to get more out of Sharing Our Stories.
These learning activities support each Sharing Our Stories title.
- Sharing Our Stories, Series 1 - Teacher Resource sample
- Sharing Our Stories, Series 1 - The Turtle Dreaming sample
- Sharing Our Stories, Series 2 - Teacher Resource sample
- Sharing Our Stories, Series 2 - The Moon and The Gecko sample