Year Levels F–5
Curriculum ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA
Resource Formats Print, Digital
What it is
Science Readers is a series of high interest, levelled informational texts and thoughtfully designed lesson plans for learners in K–5. They span across science strands and skills that include:
- biological sciences
- physical science
- Earth and space science
- scientific practices.
Science Readers are available as year-level kits. Each kit contains:
- 96 books (16 individual titles, 6 copies of each)
- a teacher's guide with easy-to-implement lessons and activities
- access to digital resources including interactive eBooks, reproducible student activity pages and audio recordings.
What it includes
Discover how Science Readers improve teaching outcomes.
Provide students with access to high-quality informational text partnered with scientific investigations.
- The books cover the three strands of science: biological, physical, and Earth and space.
- One book in each kit is devoted completely to scientific practices.
- Sixteen titles, six copies each, 24–32 pages per book in print and digital formats.
- Multiple texts around common themes build conceptual knowledge.
- Features hands-on lab activities to engage students in the scientific content and authenticate their learning.
Easy-to-implement lessons and activities foster students' curiosity about the world around them.
- To further meet the needs of students and teachers, the lessons and activities support STEM instruction and are aligned to the Next Science Readers Generation Science Standards.
- Easy-to-implement teacher guided lessons that address both literacy and science objectives.
- Lessons come with a three-part framework: before-, during-, and after-reading strategies.
- Includes introductory and lab activities to develop academic vocabulary and strategies to authentically assess student learning. Multiple assessment types help guide instruction.
- Interactive eBooks feature tools and activities to allow students to interact with the text to extend learning.
- Audio recordings of the books to model fluent and expressive reading.
- PDF formats of each book and reproducible student activity pages to maximise teacher planning time and allow for flexible or distance learning.
Samples & downloads
- Science Readers Content and Literacy Kindergarten Kit sample Download PDF (23.7MB)
- Science Readers Content and Literacy Grade 1 Kit sample Download PDF (44.9MB)
- Science Readers Content and Literacy Grade 2 Kit sample Download PDF (31.7MB)
- Science Readers Content and Literacy Grade 3 Kit sample Download PDF (42MB)
- Science Readers Content and Literacy Grade 4 Kit sample Download PDF (18MB)
- Science Readers Content and Literacy Grade 5 Kit sample Download PDF (20.8MB)