Internet's Premier Consumer-Education Source Offers Online Resources for Learners of All Ages
Today, Learning Network, the Internet's premier consumer-education source www.LearningNetwork.com; America Online Keyword: Learning Network), launched Learning Network for Lifelong Learning. This is just the latest addition to Learning Network's vertically integrated networks, which offer an unmatched array of online educational tools, content, resources and communities that enable learning without limits. According to Jupiter Communications, more than 90 million adults (46 percent of adults in the U.S.) were enrolled in various adult education classes in 1999. Learning Network for Lifelong Learning was created to address the needs of individual learners who wish to enhance their lives and increase personal growth, either with the support of an online instructor, tutor or community or on their own. Learning Network for Lifelong Learning joins existing offerings including: Learning Network for K-12, Learning Network for Professional Development, Learning Network for Reference and Learning Network Store. Resources for the College market will be introduced later in 2001.
"Learning is not confined by the walls of a classroom," said Mark Nieker, president, Learning Network. "Learning Network for Lifelong Learning was designed as the ultimate online resource for independent and enthusiastic learners of all ages-from young adults to grandparents."
Learning Network for Lifelong Learning is an easily accessible resource that fits different learning styles and the tastes of adult learners of all ages. By providing information and tools that target popular consumer subjects such as personal finance, travel, music, computing and health, Learning Network for Lifelong Learning supports Learning Network's mission to enable learning without limits through a thoughtfully organized framework based on decades of educational and publishing expertise.
"According to a recent poll by American Express, 75 percent of U.S. consumers indicate that their motivation for going online is personal interest," said Stephen Brown, publisher, Learning Network for Lifelong Learning. "Learning Network for Lifelong Learning enables consumers to convert interest into activity and knowledge with a variety of programs that fit individual learning styles as well as opportunities for team learning and collaboration with others."
Learning Network is part of Pearson plc, the international media company and one of the world's leading education and consumer publishing businesses. The key to Learning Network for Lifelong Learning's depth of content lies in its partnerships with premier publishers, Web sites, experts and authors. Publishing partners enhance the site with Pearson content including The Rough Guides, The Complete Idiot's Guides, best-selling Penguin health and lifestyle titles, and Dorling Kindersley's digital content and reference titles. Other leading Web sites linking to Learning Network for Lifelong Learning include CBS MarketWatch, SoYouWanna.com, Parlo.com, Ehobbies.com and Moreover.com.
Notes to Editors
A Closer Look at Learning Network for Lifelong Learning
Learning Network for Lifelong Learning features content on various subjects, including:
- Art & Music: Increase appreciation for art and music by learning about art classics and opera, or by building a classical music collection.
- Computers & the Internet: Increase your knowledge of the digital world by learning how to buy and upgrade your PC, use software, or navigate the Internet.
- Family & Relationships: Build satisfying relationships with your loved ones, including creating quality family dynamics, relating to teenagers, and parenting and relationship support.
- Health & Fitness: Improve your physical state by balancing your diet, learning to exercise, lowering your cholesterol or curing your insomnia.
- Hobbies: Delve into genealogy, making scrapbooks, astronomy, bird watching, coin collecting or rubberstamping, just to name a few.
- Home & Garden: Foster enthusiasm for your home by learning the ins and outs of buying an oriental rug, making the most of seasonal home maintenance or weatherproofing your home.
- Learning a Language: Get up to speed on Spanish and French for your next foreign language journey.
- Personal Enrichment: Explore your personal side and find inspiration by learning to meditate, starting positive new habits or polishing your conversation skills.
- Personal Finance: Enjoy financial security by learning about investment basics, mortgages, online brokers or retirement planning.
- Reading & Writing: Explore your literary side by starting a reading group, fine-tuning your English skills or learning from best-selling authors' advice on the craft of writing.
- Travel: Go anywhere with confidence by researching your destination, learning to carefully plan family vacations and gaining tips on healthy eating while on the road.
All content is presented from compelling sources in a streamlined environment that makes finding topics and resources simple. Each Lifelong Learning channel listed above will offer various programs including:
- Step by Step: Learn at your own pace with information, instruction and activities.
- How To: Gather specific directions that will help you complete an activity such as starting a reading group or researching your genealogy.
- Collaboration with Others: Join an online community, review message boards or participate in a forum.
- Instructor-Led Seminars: Engage in structured classroom-style learning conducted online.
- Companion Programming: Find supplements to events, shows or other programs. Industry news, expert articles, reference directories, bulletin boards and FAQ sheets will also be provided across all Lifelong Learning topics.
About Learning Network
Learning Network, the Internet's premier consumer-education source, currently offers an unmatched array of online educational tools, content, resources, and communities serving the K-12, Professional Development, and Lifelong Learning markets - offerings for the College market will roll out later in 2001. Each of the four vertically integrated networks is supported by the Learning Network Store (which hosts both online and offline education products related to Learning Network services), and Learning Network for Reference (a comprehensive database of almanacs, encyclopedia articles, dictionary definitions, and an interactive atlas, which provides interactive reference material for all Learning Network visitors). Learning Network is built on a strong foundation of assets from international media company Pearson plc, as well as educational properties from leading technology companies. Learning Network has business offices in San Francisco, New York City, Boston, Chicago and Paramus, NJ. For more information, call 1-888-816-1999 or visit www.LearningNetwork.com on the Internet and America Online Keyword: Learning Network.
About Pearson plc
Learning Network is a part of Pearson plc, the international media company. Its major business operations are: The Financial Times Group, which has an international network of business and financial newspapers and online services that are read by millions of business executives and investors every day; Pearson Education, the world's leading education business, which helps teachers teach and students learn at every stage and in every part of the world; Penguin Putnam, which is one of the pre-eminent names in consumer publishing, with an unrivalled range of fiction and non-fiction, bestsellers, and classic titles; and Recoletos, one of the top media companies in Spain. Pearson also owns a 22 percent stake in the RTL Group, Europe's leading integrated broadcasting and communications group. For more information, go to www.pearson.com.
For further information
Porter Novelli Convergence Group