for children of all ages... (even grown-up ones).
Publication date: Monday 15th September 2003 Price: £12.99
Puffin Books, in association with Callaway Editions in the US, is pleased to announce the simultaneous worldwide release of Madonna's first children's book, THE ENGLISH ROSES, a story of rivalry and friendship among school girls in contemporary London. The sumptuous 48-page hardback features whimsical, colourful illustrations by renowned fashion artist, Jeffrey Fulvimari.
By virtue of its global release, The English Roses already secures its place in publishing history. It is being released on Monday 15th September with a strict on-sale time of 8 a.m. GMT in 30 languages and in more than 100 countries.
The English Roses tells the story of four little girls-Nicole, Amy, Charlotte and Grace-who are eleven years old and the very best of friends. "They are practically glued to each other at the hip," writes Madonna in her book, and they are all "a little bit jealous of another girl in the neighborhood"-a beautiful girl named Binah whose seemingly perfect life makes them "green with envy." However, when a feisty, pumpernickel-loving fairy godmother takes them on a magical journey, they learn to their great surprise that Binah's life is not nearly as enviable as it has seemed. The English Roses is an inspiring story about the importance of compassion and the rewards of friendship.
Madonna drew on her own experiences when writing this book. "As a child, I experienced jealousy and envy toward other girls for any number of reasons: I was jealous they had mothers, jealous they were prettier and richer," she says. "It isn't until you grow up that you realise what a waste of time those feelings are."
Francesca Dow, Managing Director of Puffin comments: "We are proud to be publishing Madonna's books for children and delighted that they will join Puffin's treasure trove of great children's books alongside some of the very best children's authors and illustrators including Roald Dahl, Raymond Briggs, Anne Fine and Eoin Colfer. The English Roses has been a pleasure to work on. It looks absolutely stunning, it's wonderfully written with fantastic illustrations."
US Publisher Nicholas Callaway says, "It has been a great partnership working with Madonna on this project. She is a creative engine with an unerring eye and an absolutely clear idea of the finished work. I see how she has achieved her incomparable success: she has earned it-every day."
The English Roses is the first of five children's books by Madonna. The subsequent four books are set in different times and places. Each features a new cast of characters brought to life by different celebrated illustrators. Each book is completely different from the other, but all convey an important and inspiring message for children of all ages-even grown-up ones.
THE ENGLISH ROSES by Madonna is to be published by Puffin on 15th September 2003, price £12.99, 48-pages, hardback.
THE SECOND BOOK, MR. PEABODY'S APPLES, WILL BE RELEASED WORLDWIDE ON NOVEMBER 10, 2003.
- Madonna's recording career has spanned more than two decades and is recognized as one of the most successful and influential of modern times. Over the last twenty years, she has sold close to two hundred million albums worldwide, has had over twenty five Top Ten singles and received three Grammy awards. Madonna's most recent album American Life was released in April 2003 and went immediately to the top of the charts.
- The highest production standards mark the creation of The English Roses, which features unusual collectible elements such as premium paper, state of the art digital prepress and printing, and a matte laminated jacket with a special "lip gloss" effect.
- Puffin is the UK's leading publisher of children's books and one of its best loved brands. The publishing programme spans illustrated books for the very young through to teenage fiction, poetry and non-fiction. Puffin publishes an award-winning range of best-selling authors, including Janet and Allan Ahlberg, Eric Carle, Eoin Colfer, Roald Dahl, Anne Fine, Dick King-Smith and Melvin Burgess. Puffin is part of Penguin Group (UK). Penguin Group is part of Pearson plc, the international media company.
- Callaway Editions, headquartered in New York, is the originating publisher and has licensed book rights through The Wylie Agency to 32 distinguished houses, including Gallimard Jeunesse in France, Penguin Books for Young Readers in the UK, and Hanser Verlag in Germany [a complete list is attached]. Callaway Editions, founded in 1980 by Nicholas Callaway, is best known for its hugely successful Miss Spider book series. The firm specializes in family entertainment across all media-book publishing, 3-D computer animation for film and television, and product design.
- Jacket image, illustrations from the book and a photo and illustration of Madonna are available at the online press office at www.penguin.co.uk or by email to email@example.com
Nicky Stonehill , Colman Getty PR,
Tel: 0131 477 7950 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Laura Creyke, Colman Getty PR
Tel: 0207 631 2666 or email email@example.com