On 6th September 2001, Penguin/Michael Joseph will publish HAPPY DAYS WITH THE NAKED CHEF, Jamie Oliver’s third - and biggest - book. This will be followed by a promotional tour, with Jamie travelling the country in his VW camper van. In October, the BBC will broadcast the third series of THE NAKED CHEF.
Jamie says, “People keep asking me if the success of the books and the programmes has changed me and all my thoughts about food. Well, I think as a person I haven’t really changed apart from having to grow up a bit. But from the feedback I’ve had in letters and emails to my website, I definitely think I’ve got a more focussed feel about what real people want to cook at home. I’ve written HAPPY DAYS with this in mind.”
Jamie strongly believes that food is all about happy days: cooking superbly fresh and funky meals, and good fun, top-quality time spent eating them. HAPPY DAYS is full of recipes for all occasions, and there are sections such as ‘Comfort Grub’ (try the Steak and Guinness pie), or ‘Quick Fixes,’ in which he suggests simple tasty dinners for when time is short. Jamie is passionate about getting children interested in food, and so has also developed a chapter called ‘Kids Club’, which encourages children to begin cooking early on in life.
Jamie Oliver has sold over 2.6 million books and his television shows regular command over 6 million viewers, making him one of Britain’s best-loved chefs. He grew up in his parents’ country pub, The Cricketers in Clavering, Essex, where he started cooking at the age of eight, before studying at London’s Westminster Catering College. From there he went on to work with some of the top chefs in the country – namely Antonio Carluccio at the Neal Street Restaurant, and Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers at the River Café. He now runs the restaurant at Monte’s in Knightsbridge, London. He continues to write for the Saturday Times Magazine, and is food editor at Marie Claire. He is twenty-six and lives in London with his wife, the lovely Jools.
In addition to his book promotional tour, Jamie Oliver will also be appearing at the Cambridge Corn Exchange on 26th and 27th September and at the Hammersmith Apollo on September 28th, 29th and 30th September.
Praise for Jamie Oliver:
“This is simply brilliant cooking, and Jamie’s recipes are a joy.” NIGEL SLATER
‘Britain’s most exciting chef…His straightforward yet sensational recipes prove exactly why.’ DAILY MAIL
Enjoy yourself, get stuck in…happy days!
- Jamie Oliver’s first book, THE NAKED CHEF (1999) has just exceeded 1 million book sales in the UK and Commonwealth.
- His second, THE RETURN OF THE NAKED CHEF (2000) has reached 1.6 million UK and Commonwealth sales to date.
- Both books were Number 1. Bestsellers for six months and both have been in the Top 10 since their respective publications.
- Jamie Oliver will be available for interview during his UK book tour, 7th-14th September. For more information contact James Holland at Penguin Publicity on 020 7010 3253, or e-mail email@example.com.
- HAPPY DAYS WITH THE NAKED CHEF is published by Michael Joseph/Penguin on 6th September 2001, and priced £20.00.
For further information
James Holland, Penguin Publicity
Tel: 020 7010 3253
Fax: 020 7010 6711