Focus on Vocabulary: Mastering the Academic Word List uses thorough recycling of academic words and well-crafted exercises to introduce high-intermediate and advanced students to the vocabulary they need for academic and test taking success. New reading strategies sections in help students identify text structure and synthesize ideas across texts, among other skills.
- Seven units focus on a variety of subject areas, such as social change, consumer behavior, natural resources, and music.
- Each main chapter carefully recycles the target words four times in reading passages and vocabulary-building exercises.
- NEW! Reading Strategies are designed to give students the tools they need to better comprehend the materials they read. Activities include recognizing an author's point of view and synthesizing information from multiple readings.
- The collocations exercises - based on the 179-million-word New Longman Corpus - reflect how academic words are actually used in real contexts.
- Expanding the Topic sections provide additional reading, discussion, and writing activities that broaden students' understanding of vocabulary.
- Strategy Practice chapters offer tips for dictionary usage, information about word roots and affixes, and methods for expanding students' word knowledge.