Financial Times MarketWatch (www.ftmarketwatch.com) provides the private investor with real-time markets news and analytical tools traditionally reserved for the city professional.
A powerful new weapon for Europe's booming investment community launches today. Financial Times MarketWatch.com aims to become the leading online source of real-time news and interactive data for European private investors.
It launches into a dramatically expanding market, with the number of online trading accounts in Europe set to double to 4.4million this year, according to IDC. FTMarketWatch.com is the result of a joint venture announced just 5 months ago in which the Financial Times Group, Europe's premier source of business news and analysis, teamed up with MarketWatch.com, the Internet's largest financial news site with more than 771 million page views in the first quarter of 2000, to serve this growing community.
Larry Kramer, chairman and CEO of MarketWatch.com and chairman of FTMarketWatch.com commented "CBS.MarketWatch.com has taken the lead in the US as the primary source of news for the exploding market of individual investors and with the Financial Times we aim to capture that same market in Europe. The individual investor everywhere is desperate for real-time information about this new economy."
Stephen Hill, Chief Executive of the FT Group, added, "FTMarketWatch.com aims to be Europe's leading personal investment site just as CBS.MarketWatch.com leads the way in America. It furthers the FT Group's goal of providing the very best online coverage of European companies, markets and economies from every angle and to suit every taste. It will strengthen our position as Europe's leading online presence in financial and business news, comment and analysis."
FTMarketWatch.com is targeting the investor audience right across Europe, launching initially in the English language, and then in French and German later this year. This distinct pan-European approach mirrors developments such as the formation of the Frankfurt-London iX exchange and recent acquisitions such as Vodafone-Mannesmann and France Telecom-Orange, all of which point to increased cross-border opportunities for sophisticated European investors.
Zach Leonard, CEO of FTMarketWatch.com, commented "At a time of great market growth and volatility, this product is a real leap forward for European private investors. We will deliver them definitive breaking news and data analysis tools traditionally reserved for the professional trader. FTMarketWatch brings this information to their desktop in a clear and understandable way - demystifying the markets at a time when individual investing is exploding."
"We are uniquely placed to serve the growing class of European investor," said Thom Calandra, Editor-in-Chief of FTMarketWatch.com. "We have attracted the best journalists
and are set to provide the fastest-breaking market news and analysis on the Internet. We will back this up with comprehensive data on all the major European exchanges and a portfolio tool that allows investors to track their holdings in over 20 currencies and chart them against a variety of sectors and indices. We combine the trust, experience and scale of two of the most prominent players in financial information and we have tremendous prospects."
Notes for Editors:
Financial Times MarketWatch company information
FTMarketWatch.com was formed as the 50:50 joint venture between The Financial Times Group and MarketWatch.com:
The Financial Times Group
The Financial Times Group consists of:
- The Financial Times newspaper, the world's leading international business newspaper.
- FT.com (www.FT.com) one of the world's leading international business information web sites.
- Financial Times Information (www.info.ft.com) is one of the leading providers of specialist financial information to global markets. The business operates as Financial Times Information in Europe and the Asia Pacific region, and as Interactive Data in North America. In February of 2000, Financial Times Information/Interactive Data merged with the Data Broadcasting Corporation. This combination creates one of the world's leading sources of securities pricing and specialist financial information to global institutional, professional and individual investors.
- FTYourMoney (www.FTyourmoney.com) is a leading online source of independent personal finance information and guidance in the UK.
- The leading business and financial newspapers and Web sites in France (Les Echos and www.lesechos.fr), Spain (Expansiòn) and Germany (FT Deutschland and www.ftd.de) in partnership with Gruner+Jahr, one of Germany's leading newspaper and magazine publishers.
- Financial Times Business (www.FTbusiness.com) produces specialist information on particular industries, including the UK's premier personal finance magazine, Investors Chronicle.
- FTSE International, a joint venture with the London Stock Exchange, provides the professional investment community with the leading UK indices and, together with the Amsterdam Stock Exchange, publishes the Eurotop family of indices (www.ftse.com).
- A 50% stake in BDFM, publishers of South Africa's leading financial newspapers and web site (www.bdfm.co.za) as well as a 50% stake in The Economist group, which publishes the world's leading weekly business and current affairs journal (www.economist.com).
- The Financial Times Group is part of Pearson plc, the international media company, which also owns Pearson Education, the world's leading education company; Pearson Television, the world's leading international independent television production company; the Penguin Group, the world's most renowned English-language publisher; and Recoletos, one of Spain's leading media companies. For more information about Pearson plc, go to www.pearson.com.
- MarketWatch.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:MKTW) is a global financial news organization, providing fast, relevant and accurate information via the Internet, television and radio to help people make and save money. The company operates two of the leading financial websites at http://cbs.marketwatch.com and http://www.bigcharts.com. In addition to its comprehensive, real-time business news, financial programs and analytical tools, the company produces CBS MarketWatch Weekend, seen on many CBS television stations. The MarketWatch.com editorial staff also provides business and economic reports to The CBS Evening News with Dan Rather and CBS News' The Early Show and reports daily on CBS Television and Radio Network news programming. MarketWatch.com also operates a financial news radio network heard on more than 60 radio stations around the country via the Westwood One radio network.
- MarketWatch.com, Inc. was founded in 1997 by CBS Broadcasting, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of CBS Corporation (NYSE:CBS) and Data Broadcasting Corporation (NASDAQ:DBCC.) MarketWatch.com is headquartered in San Francisco, with major facilities and bureaus in New York City, Minneapolis, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Austin, Tokyo and London.
For further information
+44 (0)20 7825 7582
+44 (0)20 7853 2243
020 7853 2295