Pearson has been awarded the prestigious Gold Standard in the 2009 Race for Opportunity Benchmarking Survey on race equality in UK organizations. Out of 44 participating organizations, Pearson was ranked second both in overall ratings and in the private sector, up from sixth place in 2008.
"At Pearson we believe firmly in the moral, legal and business case for diversity and inclusion and its benefits for our business; benchmarking allows us not only to track our progress but also measure ourselves against other businesses committed to the business agenda on race" said Diversity & Inclusion Manager, Abu Bundu-Kamara.
Race for Opportunity (RfO) is part of Business in the Community, and is a growing network of private and public sector organisations working across the UK to promote the business case for race and diversity. RfO challenges organisations to underpin strategies with concrete actions, guaranteeing a positive impact on business performance.
The first media company to establish both a proactive diversity & inclusion team and policy, Pearson also landed the Opportunity Now FTSE Executive Women Award 2009 for employing the most female executives, as listed in the Female FTSE 100 index.
Notes to editors
The 2009 benchmarking results cover Race for Opportunity's four key areas of business activity which demonstrate the business case for working on race in the UK;
- People and Employees - looking at employment, including attraction, recruitment, selection, development, progression and retention of talented ethnic minority people.
- Customers, Clients and Service Users - how organisations market goods and services to ethnic minorities as profitable consumers.
- Community Involvement - diversity proofing community involvement activities and initiatives to ensure inclusion of ethnic minority individuals and communities.
- Supplier Diversity - how organisations engage ethnic minority businesses in their supply chain and as business partners.
About Race for Opportunity
A Business in the Community campaign, Race for Opportunity is a network of over 160 private and public sector organisations working across the UK to promote the business case for race and diversity by:
- Raising awareness of the barriers preventing ethnic minorities from making progress in the workplace
- Communicating the need to speed up progress on the introduction of policies that further better representation of ethnic minorities
- Highlighting the responsibilities and roles of leaders in delivering race diversity
- Making clear the economic and business argument for organisations investing in race diversity
Race for Opportunity challenges organisations to underpin race diversity strategies with concrete actions, guaranteeing a positive impact on business performance.
Find out more at www.bitc.org.uk
Pearson (NYSE: PSO) is an international media company with world-leading businesses in education, business information and consumer publishing. Pearson's commitment to education for all is supported by the global charitable giving initiatives of the Pearson Foundation. Pearson's primary businesses include Pearson Education, the Financial Times Group and the Penguin Group. For more information, go to www.pearson.com.
Abu Bundu-Kamara, Diversity & Inclusion Manager