Pearson builds on launch of iBooks with new range of interactive textbooks with richer and more engaging content for the Apple iPad
LONDON -- October 24, 2012. -- Pearson, the world’s leading learning company, is today publishing a new range of iBooks textbooks in the UK, Australia and Canada. The books, designed for a range of different students, are available today on the iBookstore.
The new titles include some of Pearson’s bestselling textbooks re-imagined for the iPad and brought to life with engaging video, audio, assessment, interactive images and 3D animations.
In Australia, four new titles for Grade 8 include Pearson: History, Pearson: Science, Pearson: English and Pearson: Maths. Pearson: Maths will be available by the end of 2012. These iBooks textbooks feature beautiful illustrations, videos that can be viewed on a page or as full screen demonstration, chapter reviews and interactive material to help bring the subject to life.
In the UK, Revise Edexcel GCSE Maths for secondary students will include 20 tutorial videos, quizzes and a puzzle game where you have to build 3D structures that match plan and elevation views. Anatomy and Physiology for Beauty Therapy includes high quality colour illustrations, photography and videos alongside interactive knowledge and progress checks.
Previously released science titles from the US market will be available in Canada, including Miller & Levine Biology. One of several high school multimedia texts, it includes vibrant colour interactive pages and illustrations, animations, content, video and photos to help students explore their subject.
Genevieve Shore, Pearson’s CIO and director of digital strategy, said, “We’re delighted to be able to make our interactive textbooks available to a bigger global audience. Our tablet-using students consistently ask for richer, more engaging interactive books and textbooks, and we’ve certainly delivered that in the shape of the illustrations, photography, videos, puzzles and quizzes that really bring learning to life for our readers.”
Pearson is a pioneer in the use of digital and mobile technologies to transform and enhance education and publishing. Revenues from digital and services at Pearson are expected to exceed traditional publishing businesses in 2012. Digital businesses contributed about one third of our sales in 2011 and five years ago they were 20%.
Around the world, hundreds of millions of students and teachers use Pearson’s learning technologies including:
- MyLabs, which provide online adaptive learning for school and college students;
- Pearson Learning Studio, which powers elearning for many of America’s leading higher education institutions;
- Dash, Pearson’s award-winning app that gives teachers mobile access to multimedia learning materials and personalised lessons;
- OLE, Pearson’s Online Learning Exchange, which connects teachers to thousands of learning objects, videos, animations and photos to help them customise their lessons and teach their own way;
- PowerSchool, provides powerful tools for teachers to monitor their classrooms, record student progress and communicate with parents;
- Poptropica, a virtual learning world and game for children used by 8-10m individual children every month. It is the largest children’s website in the world;
- OpenClass, a scalable and cloud-based learning system that encourages social learning and is easy and free to use;
- Schoolnet, provides assessment, curriculum and other services to help personalise learning and improve teacher effectiveness. It supports more than 5 million US students in primary and secondary education;
- Bug Club, a whole-school reading programme for children that links books with online reading that can be accessed from school or home; and
- Active Learn, an online revision and homework programme that allows students to access questions and learning aids matched to their course.
Download any of Pearson's new iBooks textbooks from the iBookstore on iPad or at www.itunes.com/iBookstore/.
For more information
Pearson plc: Tom Glover + 44 (0) 7980 621 020
Pearson Australia: Fiona Morgan + 852 31810881
Pearson Canada: Anne-Marie Scullion +1 416-386-3465
Pearson UK: Martin O’Donovan +44 (0) 20 7190 5372
Pearson North America: Wendy Spiegel + 1 800 745 8489