A Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in finance can prepare you for exciting new opportunities in your business career. These programs are designed to enhance your knowledge of fundamental business principles including accounting, finance, management, and marketing.
If your goals include attending graduate school to earn your MBA in finance, we can help you get there. As the world’s leading learning company, we work closely with employers and universities to learn and understand what is shaping the field of finance.
An online MBA in finance is a master’s in business administration degrees that includes a concentrated group of courses related to finance topics such as forecasting, financial analysis, investments, portfolio management, and valuation models.
This degree may also be referred to as:
- MBA in Corporate Finance
- MBA in Banking and Finance
- MBA in Financial Services
The growth of online MBA with no GMAT programs has created opportunities for working professionals to skip the rigorous graduate examination process. Instead, applicants can leverage their academic or professional experience in place of a standardized test.
In addition to providing students with an opportunity to enroll in a graduate finance program without taking the GMAT, an online MBA in finance with no GMAT offers other benefits:
- Save on admission costs. While individuals pay application fees for online MBA with no GMAT programs, the no GMAT requirement means not paying for exam preparation and test fees.
- Take courses virtually and complete their degrees with less strain on their work and family dynamics.
- Immediately apply what they learn in the classroom to their current work.
- Select courses from a flexible curriculum to align their studies with their career aims.
- Choose to participate in hybrid programs to mix online learning with in-person instruction as their schedule permits.
- Build professional relationships with classmates and expand their network, which may be useful when applying for a job upon graduation.
The primary difference is that an MBA in finance online offers you a fully rounded business education, with an emphasis on finance. An online MBA program focuses on providing a broad curriculum in accounting, finance, markets, entrepreneurship, and management. Such a course of study may offer you more freedom and the tools you need to build your own business.
An online Master of Finance has a narrower focus on finance-related topics and can be more technical in its scope. It typically covers areas including financial theory, mathematics, quantitative finance, investments, markets, financial reporting and analysis, and valuation.
A world of mid- to senior-level job opportunities can open up to you when you earn your MBA in finance online. Further, in our global economy, the business landscape is shifting and growing, so if there isn’t a job that appeals to you today, it may exist tomorrow. You might even create it.
Here are a few positions you may explore:
- Financial analyst
- Management consultant
- Marketing manager
- Operations manager
- Operations research analyst
- Sales manager
MBA in finance programs typically require you to complete core courses in the following areas:
Choose your coursework wisely, while leaving some room for flexibility. Many MBA programs require you to participate in an internship early in your MBA career.
Some MBA programs give you the chance to choose a specialization by taking elective courses, which can help you decide on your concentration and career path. An elective gives you the chance to study a related topic at a deeper level or in classes from complementary programs such as law or business.
Electives may include:
- Information systems and technology
- International business
- Research and analytics
- Human resources
- Business or commercial law
- Launching new ventures or products
- Project management
- Law and policy
An online MBA in finance can give you not only the foundational business knowledge that can help you advance your career, but also teach you in-demand skills that employers seek in finance-related professions.
If you’re looking to build on your interest in finance with practical expertise, a graduate degree can broaden your abilities and skill sets in various areas of study.
Business, legal, and technology knowledge and skills
You can diversify your knowledge in specific peripheral areas such as:
- IT compliance
- Accounting and finance
- Legal compliance
- Technology skills
- Business management
While you may not encounter these areas every day, it is helpful to be knowledgeable about them so you can communicate more easily with executives in those departments. You will benefit from learning as much as you can, remaining solution-oriented and forward-thinking.
Ethical principles and professional standards
Students can learn the gold-standard principles of the profession and how to implement those in team-oriented, complex business environments such as:
- Finance and insurance
- Self-run enterprises (as entrepreneurs)
Critical thinking and problem solving
To operate across a range of complex environments and in advanced roles, you can strengthen the following baseline skills:
- Data analysis
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Project management
Changing government and security regulations
The world of business is tightly controlled and regulated. Consider the premium that hackers place on data. Many of those regulations relate to data protection via various regulations.
You can learn about the many regulations for which you may be responsible in your business administrative or finance position. You will learn the specifics regarding each regulation and how to audit and enforce legal requirements to achieve and maintain compliance.
It's not required to earn additional certifications when completing your MBA in finance online, but the more credentials you have, the better. Here are a few reasons your clients, colleagues, and prospects will appreciate your effort to obtain certifications:
- It shows that you care about your reputation and take the extra steps to instill respect and confidence in your name and work.
- It improves your visibility and clout with recruiters.
- It offers the possibility of improved job security.
Here are a few certifications that MBA in finance degree holders can pursue:
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). This certification is granted by the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute to professionals who pass the organization’s aptitude test.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA). Anyone up to the task of taking the CPA exam can reap the benefits, becoming qualified to perform audits and having authenticated proficiency in forensic accounting, tax matters, and risk management.
Students have never had as much freedom to enjoy education on their own terms as they do right now. Since nontraditional students continue to become the face of modern higher education, it makes sense for universities to offer options to all types of student to allow for the most successful outcome.
Here are some of the most common questions that students ask when deciding whether to pursue an MBA in finance online:
Is an online MBA in finance program similar to campus-based programs at most colleges?
The course content will be largely the same, but the delivery method will vary. Some programs offer 100% online coursework.
How do I access lessons and study materials on an online platform?
Your lectures and class sessions will likely be presented through audio recordings, video calls, or pre-recorded sessions with discussions over message boards. You will access all materials online.
Are there hybrid online and on-campus program options?
Yes. Some institutions offer programs that feature blended elements of on-campus learning and online opportunities. Examples of this might be a predominantly online course but with:
- Video chat classes
- Streaming video lessons
- Networking events
If I graduate from an online program, will my diploma have “online” before the degree?
No. Your online degree will look just like the on-campus version.
The average time it takes to complete a standard MBA in finance program, which is 30 to 60 credits, is one to three years of full-time attendance. Some students seek accelerated MBA programs that they can finish in as few as 12 months in a condensed curriculum and advanced coursework.
Online MBA programs tend to offer flexibility suitable for students who choose to study part time. This option will likely extend your time to completion, but it can allow you to study while fulfilling your familial, social, and professional obligations.
There are two types of accreditation to consider when researching accredited online MBA in finance programs — regional and specialized.
Regional accreditation is the most prestigious type of accreditation that an online or traditional college or university can receive. Regional accreditation confirms that the provider has met and maintained adherence to a minimum set of academic standards.
Most regionally accredited schools will only accept credits from other regionally accredited institutions of higher learning.
Schools often apply to gain specialized accreditation for specific areas of study, departments, or degree programs. Enrolling in an accredited program can make you more marketable to employers and affect your career growth over the long term.
The following organizations offer specialized accreditation for online MBA in finance programs:
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE)
Why accreditation matters
Accreditation is key if you want to:
- Transfer your credits, as most schools will only accept transfer credits from accredited institutions
- Apply for financial aid, as federal aid is only granted to students who are studying at recognized accredited institutions
Check for both national and regional accreditation at your university of interest. You may also find that your degree program or academic department of interest has additional and specialized accreditations.
You have goals. We have a path.
An MBA has become a valuable qualification in an extremely competitive job market. As the world’s learning company, we proudly partner with universities to offer a suite of online MBA concentrations, including finance. Whatever your career goals in business, we have a strategy for you.
Find your path
- What is an MBA in finance?
- Online MBA in finance no GMAT benefits
- What is the difference between an MBA in finance and a Master of Finance?
- What are some career options for MBA in finance graduates?
- MBA in finance curriculum
- MBA in finance skills
- Are cerifications required for MBA in finance students?
- Online vs. on-campus: How to decide which is right for you
- How long will earning my MBA in finance degree take?
- MBA in finance accreditation
Need help finding the right program?