Phlebotomy Handbook: Blood Specimen Collection from Basic to Advanced, 10th edition
Your access includes:
- Search, highlight, and take notes
- Easily create flashcards
- Use the app for access anywhere
- 14-day refund guarantee
4-month term, pay monthly or pay $43.96
Learn more, spend less
Study simpler and faster
Use flashcards and other study tools in your eTextbook
Listen on the go
Learn how you like with full eTextbook audio
Special partners and offers
Enjoy perks from special partners and offers for students
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eTextbook with search
Access all your eTextbooks in one place
Phlebotomy Handbook provides the latest information on safe, effective blood collection. Progressing from simple concepts to complex competencies, it covers all the communication, clinical, technical and safety skills you′ll use in the practice of phlebotomy and other specimen-collection procedures.
Published by Pearson (September 15th 2020) - Copyright © 2019
Subject: Medical Assisting
Table of contents
PART 1: OVERVIEW, SAFETY PROCEDURES, AND MEDICAL COMMUNICATION
1. Phlebotomy Practice and Quality Assessment
2. Communication, Computer Essentials, and Documentation
3. Professional Ethics, Legal, and Regulatory Issues
4. Infection Control
5. Safety and First Aid
PART 2: ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF THE HUMAN BODY
6. Medical Terminology, Anatomy, and Physiology of Organ Systems
7. The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
PART 3: PHLEBOTOMY EQUIPMENT AND PROCEDURES
8. Blood Collection Equipment for Venipuncture and Capillary Specimens
9. Preexamination/Preanalytical Complications Causing Medical Errors in Blood Collection
10. Venipuncture Procedures
11. Capillary or Dermal Blood Specimens
12. Specimen Handling, Transportation, and Processing
PART 4: POINT-OF-CARE TESTING AND SPECIAL PROCEDURES
13. Pediatric and Geriatric Procedures
14. Point-of-Care Collections
15. Blood Cultures, Arterial, Intravenous (IV), and Special Collection Procedures
16. Urinalysis, Body Fluids, and Other Specimens
17. Drug Use, Forensic Toxicology, Workplace Testing, Sports Medicine, and Related Areas
1. NAACLS Entry-Level Phlebotomist Competencies
2. Competency Assessment Tracking Checklist
3. Finding a Job
4. International Organizations
5. The Basics of Vital Signs
Procedure A5-1 Taking Oral Temperature
Procedure A5-2 Taking Aural Temperature
Procedure A5-3 Taking Axillary Temperature
Procedure A5-4 Assessing Peripheral Pulse Rate
Procedure A5-5 Taking Blood Pressure
Procedure A5-6 Assessing Respiration Rate
6. Hand Hygiene in Health Care Settings: Stay Up-to-Date with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Federal Drug Administration (FDA)
7. Common Laboratory Assays, Reference Intervals, and Critical Limits
8. Blood Collection and Allowable Volumes from Pediatric and Neonatal Patients
9. Cautious Use of Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Symbols
10. Formulas, Calculations, and Metric Conversion
11. Military Time (24-Hour Clock)
12. Basic Spanish for Specimen Collection Procedures
13. Answers to Study Questions, Case Studies, and Competency Checklists
Your questions answered
Pearson+ is your one-stop shop, with eTextbooks and study videos designed to help students get better grades in college.
A Pearson eTextbook is an easy‑to‑use digital version of the book. You'll get upgraded study tools, including enhanced search, highlights and notes, flashcards and audio. Plus learn on the go with the Pearson+ app.
Your eTextbook subscription gives you access for 4 months. You can make a one‑time payment for the initial 4‑month term or pay monthly. If you opt for monthly payments, we will charge your payment method each month until your 4‑month term ends. You can turn on auto‑renew in My account at any time to continue your subscription before your 4‑month term ends.
When you purchase an eTextbook subscription, it will last 4 months. You can renew your subscription by selecting Extend subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before your initial term ends.
If you extend your subscription, we'll automatically charge you every month. If you made a one‑time payment for your initial 4‑month term, you'll now pay monthly. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.
To avoid the next payment charge, select Cancel subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before the renewal date. You can subscribe again in the future by purchasing another eTextbook subscription.
Channels is a video platform with thousands of explanations, solutions and practice problems to help you do homework and prep for exams. Videos are personalized to your course, and tutors walk you through solutions. Plus, interactive AI‑powered summaries and a social community help you better understand lessons from class.
Channels is an additional tool to help you with your studies. This means you can use Channels even if your course uses a non‑Pearson textbook.
When you choose a Channels subscription, you're signing up for a 1‑month, 3‑month or 12‑month term and you make an upfront payment for your subscription. By default, these subscriptions auto‑renew at the frequency you select during checkout.
When you purchase a Channels subscription it will last 1 month, 3 months or 12 months, depending on the plan you chose. Your subscription will automatically renew at the end of your term unless you cancel it.
We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.