Biology: Life on Earth, 12th edition
Choose the option that's right for you
$9.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $39.96
- Access this eText title
- Up to 2 devices
$14.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $59.96
- Access over 1,500 titles
- Up to 2 devices
- Discounted tutor access
Learn more, spend less
Study smarter, not harder
Save time with study tools in your eText
Listen on the go
Learn how you like with full eText audio
Learn anytime, anywhere
Get the app to access your eText whenever you need it
Make it your own
Your notes. Your highlights. Your eText
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eText with search
Biology: Life on Earth fosters lifelong discovery and scientific understanding, for biology majors and non-majors alike.
Published by Pearson (September 15th 2020) - Copyright © 2020
Category: Introductory Biology
Table of contents
Biology Life on Earth, 12th Edition includes Chapters 1-31. Biology Life on Earth with Physiology, 12th Edition includes Chapters 1-46.
1. An Introduction to Life on Earth
UNIT 1: The Life of the Cell
2. Atoms, Molecules, and Life
3. Biological Molecules
4. Cell Structure and Function
5. Cell Membrane Structure and Function
6. Energy Flow in the Life of a Cell
7. Capturing Solar Energy: Photosynthesis
8. Harvesting Energy: Glycolysis and Cellular Respiration
UNIT 2: Inheritance
9. Cellular Reproduction
10. Meiosis: The Basis of Sexual Reproduction
11. Patterns of Inheritance
12. DNA: The Molecule of Heredity
13. Gene Expression and Regulation
UNIT 3: Evolution and Diversity of Life
15. Principles of Evolution
16. How Populations Evolve
17. The Origin of Species
18. The History of Life
19. Systematics: Seeking Order Amid Diversity
20. The Diversity of Prokaryotes and Viruses
21. The Diversity of Protists
22. The Diversity of Plants
23. The Diversity of Fungi
24. Animal Diversity I: Invertebrates
25. Animal Diversity II: Vertebrates
UNIT 4: Behavior and Ecology
26. Animal Behavior
27. Population Growth and Regulation
28. Community Interactions
29. Energy Flow and Nutrient Cycling in Ecosystems
30. Earth's Diverse Ecosystems
31. Conserving Earth's Biodiversity
UNIT 5: Animal Anatomy and Physiology
32. Homeostasis and the Organization of the Animal Body
35. Nutrition and Digestion
36. The Urinary System
37. Defenses Against Disease
38. Chemical Control of the Animal Body: The Endocrine System
39. The Nervous System
40. The Senses
41. Action and Support: The Muscles and Skeleton
42. Animal Reproduction
43. Animal Development
UNIT 6: Plant Anatomy and Physiology
44. Plant Anatomy and Nutrient Transport
45. Plant Reproduction and Development
46. Plant Responses to the Environment
Your questions answered
Introducing Pearson+. Reimagined learning, designed for you. Choose from one eText or over 1,500 eTexts and study tools, all in one place, for one low monthly subscription. A new way to buy books that fits your budget. Make the most of your study time with offline access, enhanced search, notes and flashcards — to get organized, get the work done quicker and get results. Plus, with the app, put textbooks in your pocket and learn wherever. It's time to upgrade the textbook and simplify learning, so you can have time to live too.
Pearson eText is an easy-to-use digital textbook available from Pearson+. Make it your own by adding notes and highlights. Download the Pearson+ mobile app to learn on the go, even offline. Listen on the go with our new audiobook feature, available for most titles.
When you choose a plan, you're signing up for a 4-month term. We will charge your payment method each month until your 4-month term has ended. After that, we'll automatically renew your subscription and charge you on a month-to-month basis unless you turn off auto-renewal in My account.
When you purchase a Pearson+ subscription, it will last a minimum of 4 months, and then automatically renew each month thereafter unless you turn off auto-renew in My account.
If you want to stop your subscription at the end of your 4-month term, simply turn off auto-renew from My account. To avoid the next payment charge, make sure you turn auto renewal off 1 day before the auto renewal date.
You can subscribe again after auto-renew has been turned off by purchasing another Pearson+ subscription.
We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details before your first monthly payment.
With a Multi Pearson+ subscription plan, you can download up to 5 titles on the Pearson+ app from My list on each of your authorized devices every month.
When you're using your Multi Pearson+ subscription plan in a browser, you can select and read from as many titles as you like.