Microbiology: An Introduction, 13th edition
Your access includes:
- Search, highlight, and take notes
- Easily create flashcards
- Use the app for access anywhere
- 14-day refund guarantee
4-month term, pay monthly or pay $43.96
Learn more, spend less
Study simpler and faster
Use flashcards and other study tools in your eTextbook
Watch and learn
Videos & animations bring concepts to life
Listen on the go
Learn how you like with full eTextbook audio
Special partners and offers
Enjoy perks from special partners and offers for students
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eTextbook with search
Microbiology: An Introduction presents a careful balance of cutting-edge microbiology concepts and applications. The best-selling text from Tortora, Funke, and Case utilizes 21st-century lens to explore the key content you need to know. This trusted is known for its exceptionally clear presentation of complex topics and pedagogically superior art.
The 13th Edition expands on the core content with new learning tools. Exploring the Microbiome boxes present updated research on the microbiome. They then go into how microbes influence human health. Four new Big Picture spreads cover important topics in Microbiology. These include vaccine-preventable diseases, the "hygiene hypothesis," vertical transmission, and bioterrorism.
Published by Pearson (June 14th 2019) - Copyright © 2019
Category: Mixed Majors Microbiology
Table of contents
PART ONE: FUNDAMENTALS OF MICROBIOLOGY
- The Microbial World and You
- Chemical Principles
- Observing Microorganisms through a Microscope
- Functional Anatomy of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells
- Microbial Metabolism
- Microbial Growth
- The Control of Microbial Growth
- Microbial Genetics
- Biotechnology and DNA Technology
PART TWO: A SURVEY OF THE MICROBIAL WORLD
- Classification of Microorganisms
- The Prokaryotes: Domains Bacteria and Archaea
- The Eukaryotes: Fungi, Algae, Protozoa, and Helminths
- Viruses, Viroids, and Prions
PART THREE: INTERACTION BETWEEN MICROBE AND HOST
- Principles of Disease and Epidemiology
- Microbial Mechanisms of Pathogenicity
- Innate Immunity: Nonspecific Defenses of the Host
- Adaptive Immunity: Specific Defenses of the Host
- Practical Applications of Immunology
- Disorders Associated with the Immune System
- Antimicrobial Drugs
PART FOUR MICROORGANISMS AND HUMAN DISEASE
- Microbial Diseases of the Skin and Eyes
- Microbial Diseases of the Nervous System
- Microbial Diseases of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
- Microbial Diseases of the Respiratory System
- Microbial Diseases of the Digestive System
- Microbial Disease of the Urinary and Reproductive Systems
PART FIVE: ENVIRONMENTAL AND APPLIED MICROBIOLOGY
- Environmental Microbiology
- Applied and Industrial Microbiology
Your questions answered
Pearson+ is your one-stop shop, with eTextbooks and study videos designed to help students get better grades in college.
A Pearson eTextbook is an easy‑to‑use digital version of the book. You'll get upgraded study tools, including enhanced search, highlights and notes, flashcards and audio. Plus learn on the go with the Pearson+ app.
Your eTextbook subscription gives you access for 4 months. You can make a one‑time payment for the initial 4‑month term or pay monthly. If you opt for monthly payments, we will charge your payment method each month until your 4‑month term ends. You can turn on auto‑renew in My account at any time to continue your subscription before your 4‑month term ends.
When you purchase an eTextbook subscription, it will last 4 months. You can renew your subscription by selecting Extend subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before your initial term ends.
If you extend your subscription, we'll automatically charge you every month. If you made a one‑time payment for your initial 4‑month term, you'll now pay monthly. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.
To avoid the next payment charge, select Cancel subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before the renewal date. You can subscribe again in the future by purchasing another eTextbook subscription.
Channels is a video platform with thousands of explanations, solutions and practice problems to help you do homework and prep for exams. Videos are personalized to your course, and tutors walk you through solutions. Plus, interactive AI‑powered summaries and a social community help you better understand lessons from class.
Channels is an additional tool to help you with your studies. This means you can use Channels even if your course uses a non‑Pearson textbook.
When you choose a Channels subscription, you're signing up for a 1‑month, 3‑month or 12‑month term and you make an upfront payment for your subscription. By default, these subscriptions auto‑renew at the frequency you select during checkout.
When you purchase a Channels subscription it will last 1 month, 3 months or 12 months, depending on the plan you chose. Your subscription will automatically renew at the end of your term unless you cancel it.
We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.