Bridging English, 6th edition
Choose the option that's right for you
$9.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $39.96
- Access this eText title
- Up to 2 devices
- Discounted tutor access
$14.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $59.96
- Access over 1,500 titles
- Up to 2 devices
- Discounted tutor access
Learn more, spend less
Learn anytime, anywhere
Get the app to access your eText whenever you need it
Make it your own
Your notes. Your highlights. Your eText
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eText with search
Access all your eTexts in one place
Easily continue access
Keep learning with auto-renew
Bridging English captures what you need to know in order to enter today’s secondary English classrooms with confidence, while engaging students with purposeful, dynamic lessons. Containing the latest developments in the field, this text will serve as the anchor reference source in your professional library.
Published by Pearson (January 1st 2021) - Copyright © 2017
Category: Reading / Writing Methods (Secondary)
Table of contents
Brief Table of Contents
1. Envisioning English
2. Designing Instruction
3. Centering on Language
4. Developing an Oral Foundation
5. Responding to Literature
6. Celebrating Poetry
7. Unlocking Texts
8. Engaging Drama
9. Assaying Nonfiction
10. Making Media Matter
11. Inspiring Writing
12. Enabling Writing
13. Evaluating Learning
14. Planning Lessons
15. Becoming a Complete Teacher
Detailed Table of Contents
1. Envisioning English: Initial Definitions; A Brief History; Challenges of Teaching English in the Twenty-first Century; Core Beliefs; Individual Decisions; Conclusion
2. Designing Instruction: The Nature of Learners; The Learning Process; Four Organizational; Structures; Layering the Four Approaches; Learning with Technology; Conclusion
3. Centering on Language: Consciousness; The story of the English Language; The Study of; Language: Linguistics; The Instructional Debate; Language Instruction; Conclusion
4. Developing an Oral Foundation: Classroom Talking and Listening; Oral Language Activities; Creative Drama; Alternative Oral Strategies; Evaluating Oral Strategies; Evaluating Oracy; Conclusion
5. Responding to Literature: What Is Literature? Why Read Literature? Three Phases of the Teaching; Cycle: Enter, Explore, Extend; Four Stages of Reading Literature; Reader Response; Interpretive; Community; Formal Analysis; Critical Synthesis; Conclusion
6. Celebrating Poetry: Finding Poetry; Forging Poetry; Discerning Poetry; Probing Poetry; Placing; Poetry; Resources; Conclusion
7. Unlocking Texts: Teaching Reading; Talking the Classics; Challenging the Canon; Teaching; Noncanonical and Canonical Texts; Censorship; Conclusion
8. Engaging Drama: Enter, Explore, and Extend Drama Worlds; Teaching Shakespeare; Conclusion
9. Assaying Nonfiction: Why Teach Nonfiction? Nonfiction Genres in the Classroom; Nonfiction in the Fiction Classroom; Conclusion
10. Making Media Matter: Produce: Students As Creators; Receive: Students as Listeners and Viewers; Examine: Students as Anthropologists and Literary Critics; Critique: Students as Media; Critics; Conclusion
11. Inspiring Writing: A National Writing Report Card; Core Beliefs about Language and Writing Instruction; Developmental Tasks; Process Model; Writing Workshops; Portfolios; Authentic; Assessment
12. Enabling Writing: Four Basic Needs; Collaborative Writing; Environmental Journalism; Journal Writing; Write to Learn; Sentence Combining; Vocabulary Growth; Research Alternatives; Elemental Variation; Lit. Write; Collaborative Authors; Apprentice Writing; Summary of Research About Writing; Conclusion
13. Evaluating Learning: Standardized Tests; Grading and Evaluation; Alternative Methods of; Evaluation; Evaluating Knowledge and Response to Literature; Evaluating Writing; Alternative Grading Choices; Critique of Traditional Grading; Conclusion
14. Planning Lessons: Lesson Planning Models; Unit Planning; Curriculum Planning: Variables in Any Planning/Constant Classroom Structures and Concerns; Conclusion
15. Becoming a Complete Teacher: Defining Yourself as a Teacher; Building Public Trust; Promoting Professional Growth; Professional Leadership; Conclusion
Your questions answered
Introducing Pearson+. Reimagined learning, designed for you. Choose from one eText or over 1,500 eTexts and study tools, all in one place, for one low monthly subscription. A new way to buy books that fits your budget. Make the most of your study time with offline access, enhanced search, notes and flashcards — to get organized, get the work done quicker and get results. Plus, with the app, put textbooks in your pocket and learn wherever. It's time to upgrade the textbook and simplify learning, so you can have time to live too.
Pearson eText is an easy-to-use digital textbook available from Pearson+. Make it your own by adding notes and highlights. Download the Pearson+ mobile app to learn on the go, even offline. Listen on the go with our new audiobook feature, available for most titles.
When you choose a plan, you're signing up for a 4-month 'term'. We will charge your payment method each month until your 4-month term has ended. You can turn on auto-renew in My account at any time to continue your subscription before your 4-month term has ended.
When you purchase a Pearson+ subscription, it will last 4 months. Before your initial 4-month term ends, you can extend your subscription by turning auto-renew on in My account. If you turn auto-renew on, we’ll automatically renew your subscription and charge you every month until you turn off auto-renew.
To avoid the next payment charge, make sure you turn auto renewal off 1 day before the auto renewal date. You can subscribe again after auto-renew has been turned off by purchasing another Pearson+ subscription. We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details before your first monthly payment.
With a Multi Pearson+ subscription plan, you can download up to 5 titles on the Pearson+ app from My list on each of your authorized devices every month.
When you're using your Multi Pearson+ subscription plan in a browser, you can select and read from as many titles as you like.