Essentials of Chemical Reaction Engineering, 2nd edition
Choose the option that's right for you
$9.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $39.96
- Access this eText title
- Up to 2 devices
- Discounted tutor access
$14.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $59.96
- Access over 1,500 titles
- Up to 2 devices
- Discounted tutor access
Learn more, spend less
Learn anytime, anywhere
Get the app to access your eText whenever you need it
Make it your own
Your notes. Your highlights. Your eText
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eText with search
Access all your eTexts in one place
Easily continue access
Keep learning with auto-renew
Today’s Definitive, Undergraduate-Level Introduction to Chemical Reaction Engineering Problem-Solving
For 30 years, H. Scott Fogler’s Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering has been the #1 selling text for courses in chemical reaction engineering worldwide. Now, in Essentials of Chemical Reaction Engineering, Second Edition, Fogler has distilled this classic into a modern, introductory-level guide specifically for undergraduates. This is the ideal resource for today’s students: learners who demand instantaneous access to information and want to enjoy learning as they deepen their critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills. Fogler successfully integrates text, visuals, and computer simulations, and links theory to practice through many relevant examples.
This updated second edition covers mole balances, conversion and reactor sizing, rate laws and stoichiometry, isothermal reactor design, rate data collection/analysis, multiple reactions, reaction mechanisms, pathways, bioreactions and bioreactors, catalysis, catalytic reactors, nonisothermal reactor designs, and more. Its multiple improvements include a new discussion of activation energy, molecular simulation, and stochastic modeling, and a significantly revamped chapter on heat effects in chemical reactors.
To promote the transfer of key skills to real-life settings, Fogler presents three styles of problems:
- Straightforward problems that reinforce the principles of chemical reaction engineering
- Living Example Problems (LEPs) that allow students to rapidly explore the issues and look for optimal solutions
- Open-ended problems that encourage students to use inquiry-based learning to practice creative problem-solving skills
About the Web Site (umich.edu/~elements/5e/index.html)
The companion Web site offers extensive enrichment opportunities and additional content, including
- Complete PowerPoint slides for lecture notes for chemical reaction engineering classes
- Links to additional software, including Polymath, MATLAB, Wolfram Mathematica, AspenTech, and COMSOL Multiphysics
- Interactive learning resources linked to each chapter, including Learning Objectives, Summary Notes, Web Modules, Interactive Computer Games, Computer Simulations and Experiments, Solved Problems, FAQs, and links to LearnChemE
- Living Example Problems that provide more than 75 interactive simulations, allowing students to explore the examples and ask “what-if ” questions
- Professional Reference Shelf, containing advanced content on reactors, weighted least squares, experimental planning, laboratory reactors, pharmacokinetics, wire gauze reactors, trickle bed reactors, fluidized bed reactors, CVD boat reactors, detailed explanations of key derivations, and more
- Problem-solving strategies and insights on creative and critical thinking
Register your product at informit.com/register for convenient access to downloads, updates, and/or corrections as they become available.
Published by Pearson (July 12th 2021) - Copyright © 2018
Subject: Bioengineering & Chemical Engineering
Category: Chemical Engineering
Table of contents
- 1. Mole Balances
- 2. Conversion and Reactor Sizing
- 3. Rate Laws
- 4. Stoichiometry
- 5. Isothermal Reactor Design: Conversion
- 6. Isothermal Reactor Design: Molar Flow Rates
- 7. Collection and Analysis of Rate Data
- 8. Multiple Reactions
- 9. Reaction Mechanisms, Pathways, Bioreactions, and Bioreactors
- 10. Catalysis and Catalytic Reactors
- 11. Nonisothermal Reactor Design
- 12. Steady-State Nonisothermal Reactor Design
- 13. Unsteady-State Nonisothermal Reactor Design
Your questions answered
Introducing Pearson+. Reimagined learning, designed for you. Choose from one eText or over 1,500 eTexts and study tools, all in one place, for one low monthly subscription. A new way to buy books that fits your budget. Make the most of your study time with offline access, enhanced search, notes and flashcards — to get organized, get the work done quicker and get results. Plus, with the app, put textbooks in your pocket and learn wherever. It's time to upgrade the textbook and simplify learning, so you can have time to live too.
Pearson eText is an easy-to-use digital textbook available from Pearson+. Make it your own by adding notes and highlights. Download the Pearson+ mobile app to learn on the go, even offline. Listen on the go with our new audiobook feature, available for most titles.
When you choose a plan, you're signing up for a 4-month 'term'. We will charge your payment method each month until your 4-month term has ended. You can turn on auto-renew in My account at any time to continue your subscription before your 4-month term has ended.
When you purchase a Pearson+ subscription, it will last 4 months. Before your initial 4-month term ends, you can extend your subscription by turning auto-renew on in My account. If you turn auto-renew on, we’ll automatically renew your subscription and charge you every month until you turn off auto-renew.
To avoid the next payment charge, make sure you turn auto renewal off 1 day before the auto renewal date. You can subscribe again after auto-renew has been turned off by purchasing another Pearson+ subscription. We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details before your first monthly payment.
With a Multi Pearson+ subscription plan, you can download up to 5 titles on the Pearson+ app from My list on each of your authorized devices every month.
When you're using your Multi Pearson+ subscription plan in a browser, you can select and read from as many titles as you like.