Developing Multicultural Counseling Competence: A Systems Approach, 4th edition
Your access includes:
- Search, highlight, and take notes
- Easily create flashcards
- Use the app for access anywhere
- 14-day refund guarantee
4-month term, pay monthly or pay $43.96
Learn more, spend less
Special partners and offers
Enjoy perks from special partners and offers for students
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eTextbook with search
Access all your eTextbooks in one place
Easily continue access
Keep learning with auto-renew
Developing Multicultural Counseling Competence is infused with self-development opportunities, first-hand perspectives, and real cases to help you on your journey of developing multicultural counseling competence. Emphasis is placed on promoting awareness, knowledge, and skills for understanding cultural makeup and privilege and oppression experiences; understanding others of diverse identities and experiences; and engaging in facilitative counseling relationships.
The 4th Edition includes a new focus on intersectionality and identity, an expanded focus on the impact of White supremacy, and deeper consideration of the complexities of gender and gender identity. New and updated research, data and trends are incorporated throughout.
Published by Pearson (July 20th 2022) - Copyright © 2023
Category: Multicultural Counseling
Table of contents
SECTION 1: The Foundations of Multicultural Counseling
- The Culturally Competent Counselor: Danica G. Hays and Jan L. Gay
- Cultural Identity Development: Angie Cartwright and Dominique S. Hammonds
SECTION 2: Social Advocacy
- Social Justice Counseling: Philip B. Gnilka, Caroline O'Hara, and Catherine Y. Chang
- Racism and White Supremacy: Danica G. Hays and Ann Shillingford-Butler
- Gender and Sexism: Anneliese A. Singh and Taryne M. Mingo
- Sexual and Affectional Orientation and Heterosexism: Michael P. Chaney and Michael D. Brubaker
- Social Class and Classism: Madeline Clark
- Disability, Ableism, and Ageism: Debra E. Berens
SECTION 3: Counseling Multicultural Populations
- Individuals and Families of African and African American Descent: Patrice S. Bounds, Ahmad R. Washington, and Malik S. Henfield
- Individuals and Families of Arab and Arab American Descent: Sylvia C. Nassar and Tahani Dari
- Individuals and Families of Asian and Asian American Descent: Linh P. Luu, Arpana G. Inman, and Alvin N. Alvarez
- Individuals and Families of Latin and Latin American Descent: Cassandra A. Storlie
- Counseling Individuals and Families of Native American Descent: Sherri L. Turner, Carolyn A. Berger, Amanda F. Peterson, and Maddy C. Kern
- Individuals and Families of European and European Descent: H. George McMahon, Pamela O. Paisley, Bogusia Skudrzyk, and Chelsea Scoffone
- Individuals and Families of Multiracial Descent: C. Peeper McDonald
- Spiritual Diversity: Craig S. Cashwell and Amanda L. Giordano
SECTION 4: Multicultural Conceptualization
- Using Counseling Theories in Multicultural Contexts: Amanda C. La Guardia
- Multicultural Diagnosis and Conceptualization: Victoria E. Kress, Laura R. Shannonhouse, and Christina M. Woloch
Appendix: Multicultural and Social Justice Counseling Competencies
Your questions answered
Pearson+ is your one-stop shop, with eTextbooks and study videos designed to help students get better grades in college.
A Pearson eTextbook is an easy‑to‑use digital version of the book. You'll get upgraded study tools, including enhanced search, highlights and notes, flashcards and audio. Plus learn on the go with the Pearson+ app.
Your eTextbook subscription gives you access for 4 months. You can make a one‑time payment for the initial 4‑month term or pay monthly. If you opt for monthly payments, we will charge your payment method each month until your 4‑month term ends. You can turn on auto‑renew in My account at any time to continue your subscription before your 4‑month term ends.
When you purchase an eTextbook subscription, it will last 4 months. You can renew your subscription by selecting Extend subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before your initial term ends.
If you extend your subscription, we'll automatically charge you every month. If you made a one‑time payment for your initial 4‑month term, you'll now pay monthly. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.
To avoid the next payment charge, select Cancel subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before the renewal date. You can subscribe again in the future by purchasing another eTextbook subscription.
Channels is a video platform with thousands of explanations, solutions and practice problems to help you do homework and prep for exams. Videos are personalized to your course, and tutors walk you through solutions. Plus, interactive AI‑powered summaries and a social community help you better understand lessons from class.
Channels is an additional tool to help you with your studies. This means you can use Channels even if your course uses a non‑Pearson textbook.
When you choose a Channels subscription, you're signing up for a 1‑month, 3‑month or 12‑month term and you make an upfront payment for your subscription. By default, these subscriptions auto‑renew at the frequency you select during checkout.
When you purchase a Channels subscription it will last 1 month, 3 months or 12 months, depending on the plan you chose. Your subscription will automatically renew at the end of your term unless you cancel it.
We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.