Humanities, The: Culture, Continuity, and Change, Volume 1, 4th edition
Your access includes:
- Search, highlight, and take notes
- Easily create flashcards
- Use the app for access anywhere
- 14-day refund guarantee
4-month term, pay monthly or pay $43.96
Learn more, spend less
Study simpler and faster
Use flashcards and other study tools in your eTextbook
Watch and learn
Videos & animations bring concepts to life
Listen on the go
Learn how you like with full eTextbook audio
Special partners and offers
Enjoy perks from special partners and offers for students
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eTextbook with search
The Humanities: Culture, Continuity and Change helps you see context and make connections across the humanities. Author Henry Sayre leads you on a journey through countless “ah-ha” moments as you piece together the cultural history of the world. Sayre deftly conveys multifaceted cultural experiences via a resonant storytelling approach.
The 4th Edition offers analysis of recent works such as Lin-Manuel Miranda's Hamilton: An American Musical to show how course concepts can illuminate contemporary art. New and updated examples include discussion of the earliest musical instruments, continuing research at Stonehenge and the workings of the Dutch East India Company in Indonesia. More than 300 images have been updated whenever new and improved images were available or works of art have been cleaned or restored.
Published by Pearson (August 1st 2021) - Copyright © 2019
Subject: Introduction to Humanities
Category: Humanities, The: Culture, Continuity, and Change, Volume 1
PART I: THE ANCIENT WORLD AND THE CLASSICAL PAST, PREHISTORY TO 200 CE
1. The Rise of Culture: From Forest to Farm
2. The Ancient Near East: Power and Social Order
3. The Stability of Ancient Egypt: Flood and Sun
4. The Aegean World and the Rise of Greece: Trade, War, and Victory
5. Golden Age Athens and the Hellenistic World: The School of Hellas
6. Rome: Urban Life and Imperial Majesty
7. Emerging Empires in the East: Urban Life and Imperial Majesty in China and India
PART II: THE RISE OF THE MEDIEVAL WORLD AND THE SHAPING OF ITS CULTURE, 200 CE-1400
8. The Flowering of Christianity: Faith and the Power of Belief in the Early First Millennium
9. The Rise and Spread of Islam: A New Religion
10. Fiefdom and Monastery, Pilgrimage and Crusade: The Early Medieval World in Europe
11. Centers of Culture: Court and City in the Larger World
12. The Gothic Style: Faith and Knowledge in an Age of Inquiry
13. Siena and Florence in the Fourteenth Century: Toward a New Humanism
PART III: THE RENAISSANCE AND THE AGE OF ENCOUNTER, 1400-1600
14. Florence and the Early Renaissance: Humanism in Italy
15. The High Renaissance in Rome and Venice: Papal Patronage and Civic Pride
16. The Renaissance in the North: Between Wealth and Want
17. The Reformation: A New Church and the Arts
18. Encounter and Confrontation: The Impact of Increasing Global Interaction
19. England in the Tudor Age: "This Other Eden"
20. The Early Counter-Reformation and Mannerism: Restraint and Invention
Your questions answered
When you purchase an eTextbook subscription, it will last 4 months. You can renew your subscription by selecting Extend subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before your initial term ends.
If you extend your subscription, we'll automatically charge you every month. If you made a one‑time payment for your initial 4‑month term, you'll now pay monthly. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.
To avoid the next payment charge, select Cancel subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before the renewal date. You can subscribe again in the future by purchasing another eTextbook subscription.
When you purchase a Channels subscription it will last 1 month, 3 months or 12 months, depending on the plan you chose. Your subscription will automatically renew at the end of your term unless you cancel it.
We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.