Fundamentals of Database Systems, 7th edition
Choose the option that's right for you
$9.99 / mo
4-month term, pay monthly or pay $39.96
Enjoy these features
- Up to 2 devices
- Exclusive offers
$14.99 / mo
4-month term, pay monthly or pay $59.96
Enjoy these features
- Up to 2 devices
- Exclusive offers
Learn more, spend less
Listen on the go
Learn how you like with full eTextbook audio
Learn anytime, anywhere
Get the app to access your eTextbook whenever you need it
Make it your own
Your notes. Your highlights. Your eTextbook
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eTextbook with search
Access all your eTextbooks in one place
Fundamentals of Database Systems introduces you to the fundamental concepts necessary for designing, using, and implementing database (DB) systems and DB applications. The text provides an in-depth and up-to-date presentation of the most important aspects of DB systems and related technologies every programmer should know.
Published by Pearson (July 14th 2021) - Copyright © 2016
Category: Database Systems
Table of contents
Part 1: Introduction to Databases
- Chapter 1: Databases and Database Users
- Chapter 2: Database Systems Concepts and Architecture
Part 2: Conceptual Data Modeling and Database Design
- Chapter 3: Data Modeling Using the Entity Relationship (ER) Model
- Chapter 4: The Enhanced Entity Relationship (EER) Model
Part 3: The Relational Data Model and SQL
- Chapter 5: The Relational Data Model and Relational Database Constraints
- Chapter 6: Basic SQL
- Chapter 7: More SQL: Complex Queries, Triggers, Views, and Schema Modification
- Chapter 8: The Relational Algebra and Relational Calculus
- Chapter 9: Relational Database Design by ER- and EER-to-Relational Mapping
Part 4: Database Programming Techniques
- Chapter 10: Introduction to SQL Programming Techniques
- Chapter 11: Web Database Programming Using PHP
Part 5: Object, Object-Relational, and XML: Concepts, Models, Languages, and Standards
- Chapter 12: Object and Object-Relational Databases
- Chapter 13: XLM: Extensible Markup Language
Part 6: Database Design Theory and Normalization
- Chapter 14: Basics of Functional Dependencies and Normalization for Relational Databases
- Chapter 15: Relational Database Design Algorithms and Further Dependencies
Part 7: File Structures, Hashing, Indexing, and Physical Database Design
- Chapter 16: Disc Storage, Basic File Structures, Hashing, and Modern Storage Architectures
- Chapter 17: Indexing Structures for Files and Physical Database Design
Part 8: Query Processing and Optimization
- Chapter 18: Strategies for Query Processing
- Chapter 19: Query Optimization
Part 9: Transaction Processing, Concurrency Control, and Recovering
- Chapter 20: Introduction to Transaction Processing Concepts and Theory
- Chapter 21: Concurrency Control Techniques
- Chapter 22: Database Recovery Techniques
Part 10: Distributed Databases, NOSQL Systems, Cloud Computing, and Big Data
- Chapter 23: Distributed Database Concepts
- Chapter 24: NOSQL Databases and Big Data Storage Systems
- Chapter 25: Big Data Technologies Based on MapReduce and Hadoop
Part 11: Advanced Database Models, Systems, and Applications
- Chapter 26: Enhanced Data Models: Introduction to Active, Temporal, Spatial, Multimedia, and Deductive Databases
- Chapter 27: Introduction to Information Retrieval and Web Search
- Chapter 28: Data Mining Concepts
- Chapter 29: Overview of Data Warehousing and OLAP
Part 12: Additional Database Topics: Security
- Chapter 30: Database Security
Appendix A: Alternative Diagrammatic Notations for ER Models
Appendix B: Parameters of Disks
Appendix C: Overview of the QBE Language
Appendix D: Overview of the Hierarchical Data Model
Appendix E: Overview of the Network Data Model
Your questions answered
Choose from one eTextbook or over 1,500 eTextbooks and study tools, all in one place, for one low monthly subscription. A Single plan includes the use of 1 eTextbook title and study tools. A Multi plan gives you access to more than 1,500 eTextbook titles and study tools. Plus, with the app, put textbooks in your pocket and learn wherever.
Make the most of your study time with offline access, enhanced search, notes and flashcards — to get organized, get the work done quicker and get results.
A Pearson eTextbook is an easy-to-use digital version of the book. You can add notes and highlights, plus learn on the go with the Pearson+ mobile app. Listen on the go with the audiobook feature, available for most titles.
When you choose a plan, you're signing up for a 4-month 'term'. You can opt to make a one-time payment for the initial 4-month term or pay monthly. If you opt for monthly payments, we will charge your payment method each month until your 4-month term has ended. You can turn on auto-renew in My account at any time to continue your subscription before your 4-month term has ended.
When you purchase a Pearson+ subscription, it will last 4 months. Before your initial 4-month term ends, you can extend your subscription by turning auto-renew on in My account.
If you turn auto-renew on, we’ll automatically renew your subscription and charge you every month until you turn off auto-renew. If you made a one-time payment for your initial 4-month term, you’ll now pay monthly.
To avoid the next payment charge, make sure you turn auto renewal off 1 day before the auto renewal date. You can subscribe again after auto-renew has been turned off by purchasing another Pearson+ subscription. We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details before your first monthly payment.
With a Multi Pearson+ subscription plan, you can download up to 10 titles from your library on each of your authorized smartphone and tablet devices every month.
When you’re using your Multi Pearson+ subscription plan in a browser, you can select and read from as many titles as you like.