Fundamentals of Database Systems, 7th edition
Choose the option that's right for you
$9.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $39.96
- Access this eText title
- Up to 2 devices
$14.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $59.96
- Access over 1,500 titles
- Up to 2 devices
- Discounted tutor access
Learn more, spend less
Listen on the go
Learn how you like with full eText audio
Learn anytime, anywhere
Get the app to access your eText whenever you need it
Make it your own
Your notes. Your highlights. Your eText
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eText with search
Access all your eTexts in one place
Fundamentals of Database Systems introduces you to the fundamental concepts necessary for designing, using, and implementing database (DB) systems and DB applications. The text provides an in-depth and up-to-date presentation of the most important aspects of DB systems and related technologies every programmer should know.
Published by Pearson (July 14th 2021) - Copyright © 2016
Category: Database Systems
Table of contents
Part I. Introduction to Databases
1. Databases and Database Users
2. Database Systems Concepts and Architecture
Part II. Conceptual Data Modeling and Database Design
3. Data Modeling Using the Entity Relationship (ER) Model
4. The Enhanced Entity Relationship (EER) Model
Part III. The Relational Data Model and SQL
5. The Relational Data Model and Relational Database Constraints
6. Basic SQL
7. More SQL. Complex Queries, Triggers, Views, and Schema Modification
8. The Relational Algebra and Relational Calculus
9. Relational Database Design by ER- and EER-to-Relational Mapping
Part IV. Database Programming Techniques
10. Introduction to SQL Programming Techniques
11. Web Database Programming Using PHP
Part V. Object, Object-Relational, and XML. Concepts, Models, Languages, and Standards
12. Object and Object-Relational Databases
13. XLM. Extensible Markup Language
Part VI. Database Design Theory and Normalization
14. Basics of Functional Dependencies and Normalization for Relational Databases
15. Relational Database Design Algorithms and Further Dependencies
Part VII. File Structures, Hashing, Indexing, and Physical Database Design
16. Disc Storage, Basic File Structures, Hashing, and Modern Storage Architectures
17. Indexing Structures for Files and Physical Database Design
Part IIX. Query Processing and Optimization
18. Strategies for Query Processing
19. Query Optimization
Part IX. Transaction Processing, Concurrency Control, and Recovering
20. Introduction to Transaction Processing Concepts and Theory
21. Concurrency Control Techniques
22. Database Recovery Techniques
Part X. Distributed Databases, NOSQL Systems, Cloud Computing, and Big Data
23. Distributed Database Concepts
24. NOSQL Databases and Big Data Storage Systems
25. Big Data Technologies Based on MapReduce and Hadoop
Part XI. Advanced Database Models, Systems, and Applications
26. Enhanced Data Models. Introduction to Active, Temporal, Spatial, Multimedia, and Deductive Databases
27. Introduction to Information Retrieval and Web Search
28. Data Mining Concepts
29. Overview of Data Warehousing and OLAP
Part XII. Additional Database Topics. Security
30. Database Security
Appendix A. Alternative Diagrammatic Notations for ER Models
Appendix B. Parameters of Disks
Appendix C. Overview of the QBE Language
Appendix D. Overview of the Hierarchical Data Model
Appendix E. Overview of the Network Data Model
Your questions answered
Introducing Pearson+. Reimagined learning, designed for you. Choose from one eText or over 1,500 eTexts and study tools, all in one place, for one low monthly subscription. A new way to buy books that fits your budget. Make the most of your study time with offline access, enhanced search, notes and flashcards — to get organized, get the work done quicker and get results. Plus, with the app, put textbooks in your pocket and learn wherever. It's time to upgrade the textbook and simplify learning, so you can have time to live too.
Pearson eText is an easy-to-use digital textbook available from Pearson+. Make it your own by adding notes and highlights. Download the Pearson+ mobile app to learn on the go, even offline. Listen on the go with our new audiobook feature, available for most titles.
When you choose a plan, you're signing up for a 4-month term. We will charge your payment method each month until your 4-month term has ended. After that, we'll automatically renew your subscription and charge you on a month-to-month basis unless you turn off auto-renewal in My account.
When you purchase a Pearson+ subscription, it will last a minimum of 4 months, and then automatically renew each month thereafter unless you turn off auto-renew in My account.
If you want to stop your subscription at the end of your 4-month term, simply turn off auto-renew from My account. To avoid the next payment charge, make sure you turn auto renewal off 1 day before the auto renewal date.
You can subscribe again after auto-renew has been turned off by purchasing another Pearson+ subscription.
We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details before your first monthly payment.
With a Multi Pearson+ subscription plan, you can download up to 5 titles on the Pearson+ app from My list on each of your authorized devices every month.
When you're using your Multi Pearson+ subscription plan in a browser, you can select and read from as many titles as you like.