Humanities, The: Culture, Continuity, and Change, Volume 2, 4th edition
Your access includes:
- Search, highlight, and take notes
- Easily create flashcards
- Use the app for access anywhere
- 14-day refund guarantee
4-month term, pay monthly or pay $43.96
Learn more, spend less
Study simpler and faster
Use flashcards and other study tools in your eTextbook
Watch and learn
Videos & animations bring concepts to life
Listen on the go
Learn how you like with full eTextbook audio
Special partners and offers
Enjoy perks from special partners and offers for students
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eTextbook with search
The Humanities: Culture, Continuity and Change helps you see context and make connections across the humanities. Author Henry Sayre leads you on a journey through countless “ah-ha” moments as you piece together the cultural history of the world. Sayre deftly conveys multifaceted cultural experiences via a resonant storytelling approach.
The 4th Edition offers analysis of recent works such as Lin-Manuel Miranda's Hamilton: An American Musical to show how course concepts can illuminate contemporary art. New and updated examples include discussion of the earliest musical instruments, continuing research at Stonehenge and the workings of the Dutch East India Company in Indonesia. More than 300 images have been updated whenever new and improved images were available or works of art have been cleaned or restored.
Published by Pearson (July 14th 2021) - Copyright © 2019
Subject: Introduction to Humanities
Category: Humanities, The: Culture, Continuity, and Change, Volume 2
PART IV: EXCESS, INQUIRY, AND RESTRAINT, 1600-1800
21. The Baroque in Italy: The Church and Its Appeal
22. The Secular Baroque in the North: The Art of Observation
23. The Baroque Court: Absolute Power and Royal Patronage
24. The Rise of the Enlightenment in England: The Claims of Reason
25. The Rococo and the Enlightenment on the Continent: Privilege and Reason
26. The Rights of Man: Revolution and the Neoclassical Style
PART V: ROMANTICISM, REALISM, AND EMPIRE, 1800-1900
27. The Romantic World View: The Self in Nature and the Nature of Self
28. Industry and the Working Class: A New Realism
29. Defining a Nation: American National Identity and the Challenge of Civil War
30. Global Confrontation and Modern Life: The Quest for Cultural Identity
31. The Promise of Renewal: Hope and Possibility in Late Nineteenth-Century Europe
32. The Course of Empire: Expansion and Conflict in America
33. The Fin de Siècle: Toward the Modern
PART VI: MODERNISM AND THE GLOBALIZATION OF CULTURES, 1900 TO THE PRESENT
34. The Era of Invention: Paris and the Modern World
35. The Great War and Its Impact: A Lost Generation and a New Imagination
36. New York, Skyscraper Culture, and the Jazz Age: Making It New
37. The Age of Anxiety: Fascism and Depression, Holocaust and Bomb
38. After the War: Existential Doubt, Artistic Triumph, and the Culture of Consumption
39. Multiplicity and Diversity: Cultures of Liberation and Identity in the 1960s and 1970s
40. Without Boundaries: Multiple Meanings in a Postmodern World
Your questions answered
When you purchase an eTextbook subscription, it will last 4 months. You can renew your subscription by selecting Extend subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before your initial term ends.
If you extend your subscription, we'll automatically charge you every month. If you made a one‑time payment for your initial 4‑month term, you'll now pay monthly. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.
To avoid the next payment charge, select Cancel subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before the renewal date. You can subscribe again in the future by purchasing another eTextbook subscription.
When you purchase a Channels subscription it will last 1 month, 3 months or 12 months, depending on the plan you chose. Your subscription will automatically renew at the end of your term unless you cancel it.
We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.