Biopsychology, 11th edition
Choose the option that's right for you
$9.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $39.96
- Access this eText title
- Up to 2 devices
- Discounted tutor access
$14.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $59.96
- Access over 1,500 titles
- Up to 2 devices
- Discounted tutor access
Learn more, spend less
Learn anytime, anywhere
Get the app to access your eText whenever you need it
Make it your own
Your notes. Your highlights. Your eText
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eText with search
Access all your eTexts in one place
Easily continue access
Keep learning with auto-renew
Biopsychology is your map to explore how the central nervous system governs behavior. This clear introduction to biopsychological theory and research is built to engage you with a unique combination of biopsychological science and personal, reader-friendly discourse. Original author John Pinel and new co-author Steven Barnes interweave the fundamentals of the field with clinical case studies, useful metaphors, and anecdotes. The result is a text that feels both personally and socially relevant.
The 10th Edition has been thoroughly updated to reflect this rapidly progressing scientific field. The text also includes expanded learning objectives designed to guide you seamlessly through the course.
Published by Pearson (July 5th 2021) - Copyright © 2021
Table of contents
PART I: WHAT IS BIOPSYCHOLOGY?
1. Biopsychology as a Neuroscience: What Is Biopsychology, Anyway?
PART II: FOUNDATIONS OF BIOPSYCHOLOGY
2. Evolution, Genetics, and Experience: Thinking about the Biology of Behavior
3. Anatomy of the Nervous System: Systems, Structures, and Cells That Make Up Your Nervous System
4. Neural Conduction and Synaptic Transmission: How Neurons Send and Receive Signals
5. The Research Methods of Biopsychology: Understanding What Biopsychologists Do
PART III: SENSORY AND MOTOR SYSTEMS
6. The Visual System: How We See
7. Mechanisms of Perception: Hearing, Touch, Smell, Taste, and Attention: How You Know the World
8. The Sensorimotor System: How You Move
PART IV: BRAIN PLASTICITY
9. Development of the Nervous System: From Fertilized Egg to You
10. Brain Damage and Neuroplasticity: Can the Brain Recover from Damage?
11. Learning, Memory, and Amnesia: How Your Brain Stores Information
PART V: BIOPSYCHOLOGY OF MOTIVATION
12. Hunger, Eating, and Health: Why Do Many People Eat Too Much?
13. Hormones and Sex: What's Wrong with the Mamawawa?
14. Sleep, Dreaming, and Circadian Rhythms: How Much Do You Need to Sleep?
15. Drug Use, Drug Addiction, and the Brain's Reward Circuits: Chemicals That Harm with Pleasure
PART VI: DISORDERS OF COGNITION AND EMOTION
16. Lateralization, Language, and the Split Brain: The Left Brain and the Right Brain
17. Biopsychology of Emotion, Stress, and Health: Fear, the Dark Side of Emotion
18. Biopsychology of Psychiatric Disorders: The Brain Unhinged
Your questions answered
Introducing Pearson+. Reimagined learning, designed for you. Choose from one eText or over 1,500 eTexts and study tools, all in one place, for one low monthly subscription. A new way to buy books that fits your budget. Make the most of your study time with offline access, enhanced search, notes and flashcards — to get organized, get the work done quicker and get results. Plus, with the app, put textbooks in your pocket and learn wherever. It's time to upgrade the textbook and simplify learning, so you can have time to live too.
Pearson eText is an easy-to-use digital textbook available from Pearson+. Make it your own by adding notes and highlights. Download the Pearson+ mobile app to learn on the go, even offline. Listen on the go with our new audiobook feature, available for most titles.
When you choose a plan, you're signing up for a 4-month 'term'. We will charge your payment method each month until your 4-month term has ended. You can turn on auto-renew in My account at any time to continue your subscription before your 4-month term has ended.
When you purchase a Pearson+ subscription, it will last 4 months. Before your initial 4-month term ends, you can extend your subscription by turning auto-renew on in My account. If you turn auto-renew on, we’ll automatically renew your subscription and charge you every month until you turn off auto-renew.
To avoid the next payment charge, make sure you turn auto renewal off 1 day before the auto renewal date. You can subscribe again after auto-renew has been turned off by purchasing another Pearson+ subscription. We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details before your first monthly payment.
With a Multi Pearson+ subscription plan, you can download up to 5 titles on the Pearson+ app from My list on each of your authorized devices every month.
When you're using your Multi Pearson+ subscription plan in a browser, you can select and read from as many titles as you like.