Policing America: Challenges and Best Practices, 10th edition
Choose the option that's right for you
$9.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $39.96
- Access this eText title
- Up to 2 devices
$14.99 / mo
4-month minimum term for $59.96
- Access over 1,500 titles
- Up to 2 devices
- Discounted tutor access
Learn more, spend less
Study smarter, not harder
Save time with study tools in your eText
Watch and learn
Videos & animations bring concepts to life
Listen on the go
Learn how you like with full eText audio
Learn anytime, anywhere
Get the app to access your eText whenever you need it
Make it your own
Your notes. Your highlights. Your eText
Policing America addresses the greatest challenges in the field today, from policing a diverse society to responding to calls for reexamining policing methods. By challenging readers to vicariously experience the job of the officer, the authors lend a real-world take reflective of the changing times we live in.
Published by Pearson (July 14th 2021) - Copyright © 2022
Table of contents
PART 1: FOUNDATIONS: DEVELOPMENT OF AMERICAN POLICING AND POLICE OFFICERS
1. History: From English Origins to the United States
2. Preparing for the Street: Recruitment, Training, and Socialization
3. On Patrol: Methods and Menaces
PART 2: PRACTICES AND CHALLENGES
4. Community Policing: "Guardians," or "Soldiers"?
5. Criminal Investigation: The Science of Sleuthing
6. Personnel Issues and Practices: Stress, Labor Relations, Higher Education, and Private Police
PART 3: ADHERING TO LAW, ETHICAL PRINCIPLES, AND PUBLIC EXPECTATIONS
7. Rule of Law: Expounding the Constitution
8. Accountability: Use of Force, Ethics, Corruption, and Discipline
9. Civil Liability: Failing the Public Trust
PART 4: AGENCY ORGANIZATION AND ADMINISTRATION
10. Federal and State Agencies: Protecting Our Borders and Freedoms
11. Municipal and County Agencies: Organization, Administration, and Roles
PART 5: BEST PRACTICES: ADDRESSING SPECIAL POPULATIONS, USING SPECIALIZED EQUIPMENT
12. Policing Criminal Groups and Organizations: Drug Abusers, Gangs, Terrorists
13. Policing Special Populations and Problems: Mental Illness, Domestic Violence, Immigrants, and Human Trafficking
14. Tools, Technologies, Techniques: Contributions and Caveats
Your questions answered
Introducing Pearson+. Reimagined learning, designed for you. Choose from one eText or over 1,500 eTexts and study tools, all in one place, for one low monthly subscription. A new way to buy books that fits your budget. Make the most of your study time with offline access, enhanced search, notes and flashcards — to get organized, get the work done quicker and get results. Plus, with the app, put textbooks in your pocket and learn wherever. It's time to upgrade the textbook and simplify learning, so you can have time to live too.
Pearson eText is an easy-to-use digital textbook available from Pearson+. Make it your own by adding notes and highlights. Download the Pearson+ mobile app to learn on the go, even offline. Listen on the go with our new audiobook feature, available for most titles.
When you choose a plan, you're signing up for a 4-month term. We will charge your payment method each month until your 4-month term has ended. After that, we'll automatically renew your subscription and charge you on a month-to-month basis unless you turn off auto-renewal in My account.
When you purchase a Pearson+ subscription, it will last a minimum of 4 months, and then automatically renew each month thereafter unless you turn off auto-renew in My account.
If you want to stop your subscription at the end of your 4-month term, simply turn off auto-renew from My account. To avoid the next payment charge, make sure you turn auto renewal off 1 day before the auto renewal date.
You can subscribe again after auto-renew has been turned off by purchasing another Pearson+ subscription.
We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details before your first monthly payment.
With a Multi Pearson+ subscription plan, you can download up to 5 titles on the Pearson+ app from My list on each of your authorized devices every month.
When you're using your Multi Pearson+ subscription plan in a browser, you can select and read from as many titles as you like.