Essentials of Human Communication: The Basic Course, 11th edition
Learn more, spend less
Special partners and offers
Enjoy perks from special partners and offers for students
Find it fast
Quickly navigate your eTextbook with search
Access all your eTextbooks in one place
Easily continue access
Keep learning with auto-renew
Hallmark features of this title
- Viewpoints photos with accompanying captions prompt readers to consider a variety of issues, many of which focus on the themes of social media, the workplace and culture.
- Ethics in Communication features present an ethical issue and prompt readers to respond to a specific related ethical issue.
- The Public Speaking Sample Assistant in the public speaking chapters provides sample annotated speeches and outlines to assist students in preparing their own speeches.
- Sample speeches and outlines assist students in preparing and outlining their own speeches.
- An accessible framework leads students through the material. Tools include learning objectives, summaries of concepts and skills, and key terms.
Published by Pearson (January 23rd 2024) - Copyright © 2025
Category: Introduction to Speech Communication
Table of contents
Part 1: Foundations of Human Communication
- The Essentials of Human Communication
- Perception of Self and Others
- Listening in Human Communication
- Verbal Messages
- Nonverbal Messages
Part 2: Interpersonal and Small Group Communication
- Interpersonal Communication and Conversation
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Managing Interpersonal Conflict
- Small Group Communication
- Members and Leaders in Small Group Communication
Part 3: Public Speaking
- Public Speaking Preparation (Steps 1 through 6)
- Public Speaking Preparation and Delivery (Steps 7 through 10)
- The Informative Speech
- The Persuasive Speech
Your questions answered
Pearson+ is your one-stop shop, with eTextbooks and study videos designed to help students get better grades in college.
A Pearson eTextbook is an easy‑to‑use digital version of the book. You'll get upgraded study tools, including enhanced search, highlights and notes, flashcards and audio. Plus learn on the go with the Pearson+ app.
Your eTextbook subscription gives you access for 4 months. You can make a one‑time payment for the initial 4‑month term or pay monthly. If you opt for monthly payments, we will charge your payment method each month until your 4‑month term ends. You can turn on auto‑renew in My account at any time to continue your subscription before your 4‑month term ends.
When you purchase an eTextbook subscription, it will last 4 months. You can renew your subscription by selecting Extend subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before your initial term ends.
If you extend your subscription, we'll automatically charge you every month. If you made a one‑time payment for your initial 4‑month term, you'll now pay monthly. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.
To avoid the next payment charge, select Cancel subscription on the Manage subscription page in My account before the renewal date. You can subscribe again in the future by purchasing another eTextbook subscription.
Channels is a video platform with thousands of explanations, solutions and practice problems to help you do homework and prep for exams. Videos are personalized to your course, and tutors walk you through solutions. Plus, interactive AI‑powered summaries and a social community help you better understand lessons from class.
Channels is an additional tool to help you with your studies. This means you can use Channels even if your course uses a non‑Pearson textbook.
When you choose a Channels subscription, you're signing up for a 1‑month, 3‑month or 12‑month term and you make an upfront payment for your subscription. By default, these subscriptions auto‑renew at the frequency you select during checkout.
When you purchase a Channels subscription it will last 1 month, 3 months or 12 months, depending on the plan you chose. Your subscription will automatically renew at the end of your term unless you cancel it.
We use your credit card to renew your subscription automatically. To make sure your learning is uninterrupted, please check your card details.