Focusing on choices today for better health outcomes tomorrow
- UPDATED! Reorganized table of contents better reflects the sequence in which instructors typically teach personal health courses. Nutrition, healthy weight, and physical fitness chapters now directly follow the psychological health, stress, and sleep chapters.
- EXPANDED! Improving Your Sleep has been expanded from a Focus On mini-chapter to a full-length chapter to more thoroughly examine the connections between sleep and stress, sleep and nutrition, and much more.
- UPDATED! Making Changes Today boxes give students situation-specific techniques for making lasting changes to health behaviors.
- UPDATED! Why Should I Care? features open up each chapter and help students recognize the relevance of health issues to their own lives.
- What Do You Think? and Did You Know? features prompt students to examine their own behaviors and opinions through questions, photos, and enlightening statistics.
- Focus On chapters emphasize the connections between health and other topics that are applicable to students, but rarely covered in personal health texts. Topics include:
- Financial Health
- Spiritual Health
- Body Image
- Risk for Diabetes
- Reducing Risk for Unintentional Injury
Rich feature box program highlights hot topics
- Tech & Health boxes cover technology topics, pointing students toward select websites and health apps. For example, readers can discover smartphone apps that track diet and fitness progress, and learn about the latest in disease treatments and research.
- Money & Health boxes clarify certain financial and budget issues that can impact the health and well-being of students. A tips-oriented focus provides readers with guidance on how to deal with overwhelming medical bills, which sports equipment to buy, and various other topics.
- Health in a Diverse World boxes touch on health topics centering around diversity, gender, and global issues.
- Health Headlines boxes highlight recent discoveries and research, including interesting new public and personal health trends.
- Student Health Today boxes present current data and health trend information specific to college students, including potential risks and safety issues.
Structured format and study plan
- An active learning path starts with chapter-opening learning outcomes that are tied to each main section in the chapter, then concludes with end-of-chapter Study Plan sections comprised of chapter summaries and Pop Quiz review questions–all tied back to the chapter-opening learning outcomes.
- The Appendix at the end of the book features practical information about providing emergency care.
- Compelling visuals convey health information quickly and clearly, through graphics and photographs that capture concepts, promote stronger understanding, and enliven the learning experience.
- Captivating Statistics in large font incorporate updated reports and statistics to draw students into the text through high-interest facts.
- UPDATED! Research and source information give students the most current look at national health issues. Through the most recent facts, statistics, maps, and research, readers get a comprehensive view of personal health in today’s world.
Also available with Mastering Health
Mastering™ Health is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to work with this text to engage students and improve results. Interactive, self-paced tutorials provide individualized coaching to help students stay on track. With a wide range of activities available, students can actively learn, understand, and retain even the most difficult concepts.
- NEW! Interactive Behavior Change Activities: Which Path Would You Take? allow students to explore various health choices through an engaging, interactive, low-stakes, and anonymous experience. These activities show students the possible consequences of various choices they make today on their future health. Activities are linked out to Mastering Health from the book and made assignable in Mastering Health with follow-up questions.
- UPDATED! Over 40 new ABC News Videos bring health to life and spark discussion with hot topics from 2012 to 2016. They also include activities tied to the videos, with multiple-choice questions that provide wrong-answer feedback to redirect students to the correct answer.
- Pre-lecture Reading Questions ensure that students come prepared for lecture by answering multiple choice questions related to content within the text.
- Self-Assessments with Gradebook Reporting enable students to write a self-reflection piece on their self-assessment or complete the self-assessment and have it automatically speak to the gradebook. Self-assessments are available within Mastering Health, both as a PDF format with a self-reflection piece and as a multi-part activity that speaks to your gradebook.
- MP3 chapter summaries are accessible via QR codes in the book, review key chapter content, and come with multiple choice questions that provide wrong-answer feedback.
- Behavior Change Videos are concise whiteboard-style videos that help students with the steps of behavior change, covering topics such as setting SMART goals, identifying and overcoming barriers to change, planning realistic timelines, and more. Additional videos review key fitness concepts such as determining target heart rate range for exercise. All videos include assessment activities and are assignable in Mastering Health.
- Study Plans now tie all end-of-chapter material (including chapter review, pop quiz, and Think About It questions) to specific numbered Learning Outcomes and Mastering Health assets. Assignable study plan items contain at least one multiple choice question per Learning Outcome and wrong-answer feedback.
- Health & Fitness Coaching Activities guide your students through key health and fitness concepts with interactive mini-lessons that provide hints and feedback. Activities tied to the videos include multiple choice questions that provide wrong-answer feedback to redirect students to the correct answer.
- UPDATED! NutriTools Coaching Activities in the nutrition chapter allow students to combine and experiment with different food options and learn firsthand how to build healthier meals.
- NEW! eText 2.0 optimized for mobile:
- eText 2.0 mobile app offers offline access and can be downloaded for most iOS and Android phones/tablets from the Apple App Store or Google Play
- Seamlessly integrated videos and other rich media
- Accessible (screen-reader ready)
- Configurable reading settings, including resizable type and night reading mode
- Instructor and student note-taking, highlighting, bookmarking, and search
- Learning Catalytics™ helps you generate class discussion, customize your lecture, and promote peer-to-peer learning with real-time analytics. As a student response tool, Learning Catalytics uses students’ smartphones, tablets, or laptops to engage them in more interactive tasks and thinking.
- NEW! Upload a full PowerPoint® deck for easy creation of slide questions.
- NEW! Team names are no longer case sensitive.
- Help your students develop critical thinking skills.
- Monitor responses to find out where your students are struggling.
- Rely on real-time data to adjust your teaching strategy.
- Automatically group students for discussion, teamwork, and peer-to-peer learning.
- Dynamic Study Modules help students study effectively on their own by continuously assessing their activity and performance in real time. Here's how it works: students complete a set of questions with a unique answer format that also asks them to indicate their confidence level. Questions repeat until the student can answer them all correctly and confidently. Once completed, Dynamic Study Modules explain the concept using materials from the text. These are available as graded assignments prior to class, and accessible on smartphones, tablets, and computers. NEW! Instructors can now remove questions from Dynamic Study Modules to better fit their course.
Table of contents
Part 1: Finding the Right Balance
1. Accessing Your Health
2. Promoting and Preserving Your Psychological Health
FOCUS ON Cultivating Your Spiritual Health
3. Managing Stress and Coping with Life’s Challenges
FOCUS ON Improving Your Financial Health
4. Improving Your Sleep
Part 2: Building Healthy Lifestyles
5. Nutrition: Eating for a Healthier You
6. Reaching and Maintaining a Healthy Weight
FOCUS ON Enhancing Your Body Image
7. Improving Your Physical Fitness
Part 3: Creating Healthy and Caring Relationships
8. Building Healthy Relationships and Communicating Effectively
9. Understanding Your Sexuality
10. Considering Your Reproductive Choices
Part 4: Avoiding Risks from Harmful Habits
FOCUS ON Recognizing and Avoiding Addiction
11. Drinking Alcohol Responsibly
12. Ending Tobacco Use
13. Avoiding Drug Misuse and Abuse
Part 5: Preventing and Fighting Disease
14. Protecting against Infectious Diseases
15. Protecting against Sexually Transmitted Infections
16. Preventing Cardiovascular Disease
FOCUS ON Minimizing Your Risk for Diabetes
17. Reducing Your Cancer Risk
18. Reducing Risks and Coping with Chronic Conditions
Part 6: Facing Life's Challenges
19. Becoming a Responsible Health Care Consumer
20. Preventing Violence and Abuse
FOCUS ON Reducing Your Risk of Unintentional Injury
21. Preserving and Protecting Your Environment
22. Preparing for Aging, Death, and Dying
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material