Along These Lines: Writing Sentences and Paragraphs, 7th edition
Published by Pearson (April 9th 2018) - Copyright © 2019
Along These Lines: Writing Sentences and Paragraphs (Subscription)
ISBN-13: 9780134782454Includes: eText
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
MyLab Writing with Pearson eText -- Instant Access -- for Along These Lines: Writing Sentences and Paragraphs
- Instant Access
Instant digital access to MyLab. To register, you'll need a Pearson course ID from your instructor.
Along These Lines: Writing Sentences and Paragraphs, Books a la Carte Edition
ISBN-13: 9780134782461Includes: Loose-Leaf
You'll get loose-leaf, three-hole-punched pages ready to be placed in a binder.
Along These Lines: Writing Sentences and Paragraphs
ISBN-13: 9780134767840Includes: Paperback
You'll get a bound printed text.
For courses in College Developmental Writing.
Effective writers are effective learners
Clear, effective writing is an increasingly important skill in today’s world. With its intensive coverage of the writing process, Along These Lines: Writing Sentences and Paragraphs, 7th Edition, helps developing writers acquire and improve their skills to become more effective writers – and more effective learners. Biays and Wershoven guide readers, step by step, through the writing process with inͭdepth instruction on grammar, paragraph construction, and short essays.
Each chapter offers numerous individual and collaborative exercises, along with contextualized practical writing applications – such as workplace writing, personal writing, and classroomͭcentered academic material. This book also includes a chapter on “Writing from Reading” that demonstrates how writing and reading are interconnected processes. Encouraging critical thinking and personal engagement, the authors provide invaluable resources, interactive exercises, and continual reinforcement to give writers a solid foundation for future success.
Reach every student by pairing the loose-leaf version of this text with MyLab Writing
MyLab™ is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted content with digital tools and a flexible platform, MyLab personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student. When students enter your developmental writing course with varying skill levels, MyLab can help you identify which students need extra support and provide them targeted practice and instruction outside of class.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyLab Writing does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with MyLab Writing, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
If you would like to purchase both the loose-leaf version of the text and MyLab Writing, search for:
0134984439/ 9780134984438 Along These Lines: Writing Sentences and Paragraphs, Books a la Carte Plus MyLab Writing with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package, 7/e
Package consists of:
- 0134808460 / 9780134808468 MyLab Writing with Pearson eText -- Access Card -- for Along These Lines: Writing Sentences and Paragraphs, 7/e
- 0134782461 / 9780134782461 Along These Lines: Writing Sentences and Paragraphs, Books a la Carte edition, 7/e
Table of contents
PART 1 – SENTENCE-LEVEL SKILLS: GRAMMAR FOR WRITERS
1. The Simple Sentence
2. Beyond the Simple Sentence: Coordination
3. Avoiding Run-on Sentences and Comma Splices
4. Beyond the Simple Sentence: Subordination
5. Combining Sentences: A Review of Your Options
6. Avoiding Sentence Fragments
7. Using Parallelism in Sentences
8. Using Adjectives and Adverbs
9. Correcting Problems with Modifiers
10. Verbs: The Present Tense
11. Verbs: The Past Tense
12. Verbs: Consistency and Voice
13. Making Subjects and Verbs Agree
14. Using Pronouns Correctly: Agreement and Reference
15. Using Pronouns Correctly: Consistency and Case
18. Words That Sound Alike/Look Alike
19. Using Prepositions Correctly
PART 2 – WRITING IN STAGES: THE PROCESS APPROACH
20. Writing a Paragraph: Prewriting
21. Writing a Paragraph: Planning
22. Writing a Paragraph: Drafting and Revising
23. Writing a Paragraph: Editing and Proofreading
24. Writing a Narrative Paragraph
25. Writing a Descriptive Paragraph
26. Writing an Illustration Paragraph
27. Writing a Process Paragraph
28. Moving from Paragraphs to Essays
29. Writing from Reading
Appendix. Readings for Writers
Appendix. Basics of College Research
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material