Ethernet Tips and Techniques, 1st edition
Unfortunately, this item is not available in your country.
The #1 Ethernet quick reference for network professionals!
Network professionals at Hewlett-Packard, DEC and other top companies know Byron Spinney's handbook is the source for fast, accurate Ethernet answers. Newly updated and expanded, Ethernet Tips and Tricks delivers all the information you need to take your Ethernet network into the 21st century.
Start with the fundamentals: a crystal-clear explanation of what Ethernet LANs are and how they work. Review every type of Ethernet: 10 Mbps Ethernet, 100 Mbps Fast Ethernet, 100BASE-FX, and Gigabit Ethernet. Understand every Ethernet media type: coax, thinnet, unshielded twisted-pair, and fiber. Learn about every hardware component in an Ethernet network, from NICs to bridges, routers and switches.
Then, with the help of practical case studies, walk step by step through:
- Ethernet design, including estimating network requirements, defining structure, choosing media and selecting hardware.
- Ethernet installation, including deciding whether to contract, choosing a contractor, documenting your installation, conduits, firewalls, and testing.
- Ethernet maintenance, including preventive and corrective maintenance for cables and equipment; and the basics of network management.
Ethernet Tips and Tricks includes EIA/TIA cabling specifications, basic UTP wiring diagrams, a guide to Ethernet acronyms, and much more. If you depend on Ethernet, you'll never find a more useful everyday reference.
Table of contents
1. An Introduction to Local Area Networking.
2. Introduction to Ethernet.
3. Ethernet Versions.
4. 10Mbps Ethernet.
5. Fast Ethernet.
6. 100BASE-T2, T4, and TX.
13. The Future of Ethernet.
Appendix A:Collision Domain Basics.
Appendix B:EIA/TIA Cable Categories.
Appendix C:Twisted-Pair Wiring Diagrams.
Appendix D:Abbreviations and Acronyms.
Appendix E:Other Sources of Information.
Published by Pearson (September 25th 1997) - Copyright © 1998