NOTE: This edition features the same content as the traditional text in a convenient, three-hole-punched, loose-leaf version. Books a la Carte also offer a great value; this format costs significantly less than a new textbook. Before purchasing, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN.
For courses in global issues and cultural anthropology.
Examine the development and impact of capitalism on global systems
The 7th Edition of Global Problems and the Culture of Capitalism follows the path of capitalism from its roots over 500 years ago to its current status in the world. Emerging from Western Europe and expanding to the United States and the rest of the world, capitalism and the systems that have contested it have impacted the economic, political, and social forces that dominate readers’ lives. The authors draw on a variety of disciplines, including anthropology, history, economics, sociology, and more, to provide readers with a comprehensive understanding of the problems with capitalism and actionable ways to solve them. The 7th Edition provides updated content that reflects the changes in the world since the last edition and introduces the content in a reader-friendly and engaging way.
Table of contents
I. Introduction: The Consumer, the Laborer, the Capitalist, and the Nation-State in the Society of Perpetual Growth
1. Constructing the Consumer
2. The Laborer in the Culture of Capitalism
3. The Rise and Fall of the Merchant, Industrialist, and Financier
4. The Nation-State in the Culture of Capitalism
II. The Global Impact of the Culture of Capitalism: Introduction
5. Population Growth, Migration, and Urbanization
6. Hunger, Poverty, and Economic Development
7. Environment and Consumption
8. Health and Disease
9. Indigenous Groups and Ethnic Conflict
III. Resistance and Rebellion: Introduction
10. Peasant Adaptation and Resistance in the Face of Uncertainty
11. Anti-Systemic Protest
12. Religion and Anti-Systemic Protest
13. Solving Global Problems: Some Options and Courses of Action
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material