Introduction to Data Communications and Networking, 1st edition
Unfortunately, this item is not available in your country.
This text provides a comprehensive coverage of data communications fundamentals, telephone system operation, local area networks, internetworking, and Internet communications. Each chapter contains numerous examples emphasizing the most important concepts presented. Questions and problems are included at the end of each chapter, and answers to selected problems are provided at the end of the book.Significant material is provided on the following:
- Analog and digital electronic communications systems
- Metallic and optical fiber cable systems
- Digital transmission and multiplexing
- Wireless communications systems, including free-space electromagnetic wave preparation
- Wireline, cellular, and PCS telephone theory
- Codes, data formats, error detection and correction, modems, UARTs and USARTs, and serial interfaces
- Data-link protocols, including XMODEM, YMODEM, KERMIT, SDLC, and HDLC
- Transmission formats, LAN topologies, and basic internetworking devices
- IEEE 802 Project including access methodologies, and MAC and LLC sublayers
- IEEE 802.3 Ethernet and DIX Ethernet II
- IP addressing, subnets, supernetworks, and IP classless and classful addressing hierarchies
- Layer 3 networking protocols, such as ARP, IPv4, and ICMP; and Layer 4 transport protocols, such as UDP and TCP
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) and Internal Control Management Protocol version 6 (ICMPv6)
- Configuration and domain name protocols, including DHCP and DNS
- Application layer protocols, including Telnet, FTP TFTP, SMTP, POP, and HTTP
- Integrated Services Digital Network and Digital Subscriber Loop
- Broadband WAN access technologies such as X.25, Frame Relay, and ATM
Table of contents
1. Introduction to Data Communications and Networking.
2. Signals, Noise, Modulation, and Demodulation.
3. Cable Transmission Media.
4. Optical Fiber Transmission Media.
5. Digital Transmission.
6. Multiplexing and T-Carriers.
7. Wireless Communications Systems.
8. Telephone Instruments and Signals.
9. The Telephone Circuit.
10. The Public Telephone Network.
11. Cellular Telephone Concepts.
12. Cellular Telephone Systems.
13. Data Communications Codes, Data Formats, and Error Control.
14. Data Communications Hardware, Serial and Parallel Interfaces.
15. Data Communications Equipment.
16. Data Link Protocols.
17. Networking and Internetworking.
18. Local Area Networks.
19. TCP/IP Protocol Suite and Internet Protocol Addressing.
20. Networks and Subnetworks.
21. Network-Layer Protocols.
22. Internet Control Management Protocol.
23. Transport-Layer Protocols.
24. Internet Protocol Version 6.
25. Configuration and Domain Name Protocols.
26. TCP/IP Applications-Layer Protocols.
27. Integrated Services Data Networks.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material
Published by Pearson (April 21st 2004) - Copyright © 2005