Published byPearson (August 14th 2020) - Copyright © 2012
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
This is the eBook of the printed book and may not include any media, website access codes, or print supplements that may come packaged with the bound book.
Designed for prospective teachers without extensive music backgrounds, Music Fundaments, Methods and Materials for the Elementary Classroom Teacher, 5th Edition, provides both a thorough overview of the basic elements of music and a clear sequence of instructional steps that allows readers to participate in the same learning process they will later use as teachers. The text gives a proper overview to the basic elements of music, and a clear sequence of instructional steps in order to teach music to children in elementary school. This market-leading textbook can also be used as a major resource for elementary general music education specialists in the classroom.
Pre-service and practicing teachers will appreciate the range of content covered in this edition including: Teaching the elements of music to children (theory, rhythm, melody, timbre, expressive elements, form, texture, and harmony); Developing music skills (voice instruction, musical instruments, listening activities, and movement); and Organizing musical experiences (lesson planning, and integrating music with other subjects).
Noteworthy enhancements made to the Fifth Edition include: expanded ideas on integrating music across the curriculum to enhance students’ knowledge of language arts, social studies, math and science; icons that represent curricular areas facilitate cross-curricular connections to music; references to the National Standards for Arts Education with direct applications to musical learning; activities on beginning drumming; new helpful guidelines on maintaining vocal health; and more tools and suggestions for the assessment of concepts learned.
Table of contents
Section I: Teaching the Elements of Music to Children
Chapter 1: Music and the Child
Chapter 2: Teaching Rhythm to Children
Chapter 3: Teaching Melody to Children
Chapter 4: Teaching Timbre to Children
Chapter 5: Teaching Expressive Elements to Children
Chapter 6: Teaching Form to Children
Chapter 7: Teaching Texture to Children
Chapter 8: Teaching Harmony to Children
Section II: Developing Musical Skills
Chapter 9: The Singing Voice
Chapter 10: Playing Musical Instruments
Chapter 11: Listening Activities and Materials
Chapter 12: Movement and Children
Section III: Organizing Musical Experiences
Chapter 13: Lesson Planning
Chapter 14: Integrating Music with Other Subjects
Listing of Recorded Selections
1. A Ram Sam Sam (1:36). 1995 Silver Burdett Ginn.
2. Arirang (1:17)
3. Achshav (Awake! Awake!) (1:27). 1995 Silver Burdett Ginn.
4. Awake! Awake! (Achshav) (1:27). 1995 Silver Burdett Ginn.
5. America, the Beautiful (2:05). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
6. Clementine (:36)
7. Sakura (Cherry Bloom) (:45)
8. Dona nobis pacem (Grant Us Peace) (3:04). 2005 Pearson Education, Inc.
9. Down by the Station (:24)
10. El florón (The Flower) (1:16). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
11. The Flower (1:17). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
12. Follow the Drinking Gourd (:56)
13. Free at Last (2:17). 1995 Silver Burdett Ginn.
14. Hawaiian Rainbows (:38)
15. I Love the Mountains (1:25). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
16. Ida Red (:30)
17. Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho (:52)
18. Juanito (Little Johnny) (2:20). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
19. Little Johnny (2:20). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
20. Lift Every Voice and Sing (3:43). 1995 Silver Burdett Ginn.
21. Mary Ann (1:48). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
22. Mi cuerpo hace música (There’s Music in Me) (1:05). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
23. There’s Music in Me (1:05). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
24. Music Alone Shall Live (2:55)
25. Nighttime (:34)
26. Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen (1:26)
27. O Hanukkah (:43)
28. Pat Works on the Railway (:27)
29. Pin Pon (Spanish) (1:16). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
30. Pin Pon (English) (1:15). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
31. Simple Gifts (:52)
32. Star-Spangled Banner (1:19)
33. This Train, Oh When the Saints, Swing Low (1:52)
34. Yankee Doodle (1:16). 1988 Silver Burdett Ginn.
35. “Little Train of the Caipira” from Bachianas Brasileiras (4:53). Courtesy of Everest Records.
36. “Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks” from Pictures at an Exhibition, Mussorgsky (1:16). Courtesy of SPG Music, Inc.
37. “Habanera” from Carmen, Bizet (1:37). Courtesy of Qualiton Imports, Ltd.
38. “Flight of the Bumblebee” from The Legend of Tsar Sultan, Rimsky-Korsakov (transcribed by J. Heifetz) (1:19). Courtesy of Denon Records/Nippon Columbia Co., Ltd.
39. Trombone excerpt from Stars and Stripes Forever, Sousa (1:12)
40. Bassoon excerpt, “In the Hall of the Mountain King” from Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Grieg (:57). Courtesy of SPG Music, Inc.
41. Castanets excerpt from Capriccio Espagnol, Rimsky-Korsakov (1:49). Courtesy of SPG Music, Inc.
42. Gregorian Chant, Alleluia (2:00). Courtesy of the Haydn Society.
43. Little Fugue in G Minor, BWV 578, Bach (3:27). Courtesy of Hyperion Records, Ltd.
44. Also Sprach Zarathustra excerpt, Strauss (1:44). Courtesy of SPG Music, Inc.
45. “Ecce gratum” from Carmina Burana, Orff (2:48). Courtesy of Arts Music GmbH.
46. “Frightening” from Scenes of Childhood, Op.15, Schumann (1:44). Courtesy of SPG Music, Inc.
This compilation copyright © 2012 by Pearson.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material