Nutrition & You provides students with a personalized approach to understanding nutrition, teaching them to become informed consumers of nutrition information. Joan Salge Blake is known for her engaging writing style, where she addresses students directly, uses clear visuals to explain concepts, and captivates students with humor. Blake encourages students to think critically and relate the science of nutrition to their own dietary habits, enabling them to separate fact from fiction and to distinguish high-quality nutrient sources from those of lesser quality.
The 5th Edition includes the latest scientific research and updated coverage of hot topics such as the microbiome and food waste to engage students and encourage behavior change. Updated Practical Nutrition Tips videos feature Blake walking students through making better eating choices in their everyday lives, and updated NutriTool Activities help students apply nutrition concepts to improve their health — both available in Mastering Nutrition. Additionally, instructors can assign autogradable MyDietAnalysis (MDA) Personalized Dietary Analysis activities.
Features and benefits
Mastering gives you the tools you need to learn — and to get a better grade
- Personalized study tools.: Show you what you know, what you don’t, and where to spend your time to fill the gaps
- Immediate feedback: On assignments and quizzes — and assistance with each problem if you need it — helps you get unstuck.
- The mobile eText: Lets you learn on your terms, wherever you are.
Table of contents
1. What Is Nutrition?
2. Tools for Healthy Eating
3. The Basics of Digestion
4. Carbohydrates. Sugars, Starches, and Fiber
5. Fats, Oils, and Other Lipids
6. Proteins and Amino Acids
8. Minerals and Water
10. Weight Management and Energy Balance
11. Nutrition and Fitness
12. Consumerism and Sustainability. Food from Farm to Table
13. Food Safety and Technology
14. Life Cycle Nutrition. Pregnancy through Infancy
15. Life Cycle Nutrition. Toddlers through the Later Years
16. Hunger at Home and Abroad
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material