Old Testament Story, The, 10th edition
Old Testament Story, The (Subscription)
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
For courses in Old Testament.
A literary-focused introduction to the Old Testament
The Old Testament Story introduces students to the Old Testament, with a focus on the historical context behind it and the literary structures within it. The text first provides a foundational framework of the history and culture of the Near East at the time the Old Testament stories were being written. It then delves into the stories themselves, using insight from a number of contemporary methods for reading ancient texts employed by academics and scholars. The 10th Edition of the text has been heavily updated, including sections rewritten to bring the text up to date, enhanced study aids, and more.
Table of contents
1. The Book and Those Who Study It
2. Archaeology and the World of the Old Testament
3. Israel Looks at the Beginnings
4. Israel Becomes a People
5. Israel Gains a Home: Joshua and Judges
6. The Beginning of the Monarchy: Samuel, Saul, and David
7. The Division of the Monarchy I: The Reign of Solomon and the Story of the Northern Kingdom
8. The Division of the Monarchy II: The Story of the Southern Kingdom
9. The Exile and Restoration: Redefining Israel
10. The Prophetic Literature I: An Introduction to Prophetic Literature and the Book of Isaiah
11. The Prophetic Literature II: The Scrolls of Jeremiah and Ezekiel
12. The Prophetic Literature III: The Book of the Twelve and the Continuation of the Prophetic Tradition
13. A Legacy of Israel: Wisdom Literature and Psalms
14. The Time of Silence: Judah in Eclipse
15. Epilogue: The Continuing Story
Published by Pearson (June 26th 2019) - Copyright © 2020