SGML: The Billion Dollar Secret, 1st edition
Unfortunately, this item is not available in your country.
Dramatically improve the way you manage information—and save a fortune!
There's a black hole sitting quietly at the heart of your business, devouring money and resources. You spend a fortune developing documents. . . and then you do it all over again whenever products change, new markets or new media emerge. What's worse, even after you“ve spent all that money, the information's almost never there when you need it!
SGML is the solution. SGML: The Billion Dollar Secret shows you exactly how SGML can help you take control over your documents—and more importantly, take control of the information in those documents. You'll learn how companies like Mobil Oil, United Technologies, Sybase and Grolier are using SGML to:
- Organize information so it's always there when needed
- Deliver information in print, on CD-ROM and over the World Wide Web efficiently and cost-effectively
- Reuse content instantly, without retyping, reformatting, and reworking
- Improve customer service and product support
- Make sure everyone's always working from current information
- Improve response time to bids and new business opportunities.
Through case studies, you'll learn how other world-class companies evaluated their existing document production systems, identifying costs that SGML could eliminate—and discovering business opportunities it could make possible. You will learn how those companies managed their migration to SGML—for example, how they incorporated their existing word processing software into their SGML applications, or how they choose the appropriate SGML systems. And you will find guidelines on how you can do the same at your company! As a businessperson, you wouldn't stand for a transaction processing system that worked as poorly as the systems most companies use to manage their documents. Yet your corporate information resources are equally critical to your long-term success. It's time to solve the problem. SGML: The Billion Dollar Secret shows you how.
Table of contents
Introduction: A Book For Executives.
1. The Cottage Industry.
2. Building Cutting-Edge Information.
3. Grolier, Incorporated.
4. Sybase, Incorporated.
5. United Technologies.
6 Mobil Corporation.
7. The Semiconductor Industry.
8. SGML Initiatives in Other Industries.
9. Lessons for Your Future:
Published by Pearson (December 30th 1996) - Copyright © 1997