Teaching Individuals with Physical or Multiple Disabilities, 6th edition
Published by Pearson (July 9th 2009) - Copyright © 2010
You'll get a bound printed text.
Comprehensive and unique, this text provides special educators and others education professionals with the knowledge and strategies for creating meaningful educational experiences for students with physical, health, or multiple disabilities. It is the only text published that specifically addresses the educational and psychosocial needs of students with physical or health impairments who do not necessarily have cognitive disabilities and explains the psychosocial impact of disability including those disabilities that are degenerative and terminal in nature. It teaches key knowledge and strategies for creating meaningful educational experiences for students with physical, health, or multiple disabilities and illustrates how assessment and curriculum accommodations and modifications support students with physical or multiple disabilities to reach their highest potential.
New to this Edition!
- NEW! Features a completely redesigned model for planning and designing courses of study for students with disabilities that is aligned with core academic curriculum - found in the chapter on curricular options (Ch. 5) and modeled throughout the text.
- Familiarizes readers with the theory on which text coverage is based and gives them a structure on which to “hang” current and future knowledge.
- NEW! Includes the most updated information on federal legislation - Summarizes the key aspects of NCLB and IDEA (Ch. 1)
- Describes mandated assessment and appropriate accommodations and modifications.
- NEW! Redesigned transition content (Ch. 12) - emphasizes self-determination as a guiding factor developing student outcomes.
- NEW! Photos and illustrations throughout the text - Created specifically for this text, with enhanced chapter opening photos.
- Enhance the narrative throughout and the uniqueness of the text overall.
Table of contents
Impact and Implications of Physical, Health, and Multiple Disabilities
Understanding Individuals with Physical, Health, and Multiple Disabilities
Health Impairments and Congenital Infections
Curriculum Options and Avenues of Performance Improvement
Curriculum and Individualized Educational Planning
Task and Situation Analysis
Augmentative and Alternative Communication
Essential Knowledge and Skill Domains
for Personal Self-Reliance
Feeding and Swallowing
Adaptations for Personal Independence
Adaptations in Physical Education, Leisure Education, and Recreation
Self-Determination and Education for Transition
Reading Instruction and Adaptations
Writing Instruction and Adaptations
Science and Social Studies Instruction and Adaptations
Mathematics Instruction and Adaptations
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material