The name of our awarding organisation is changing from Edexcel to Pearson from April 2013.
As you may know, Pearson has been the parent company of the awarding organisation Edexcel since 2003. In 2010, the legal name of the Edexcel awarding organisation became Pearson Education Limited - although, with the agreement of the regulator, we continued to use the name Edexcel for our awarding activities on the understanding that we would move to Pearson in the near future.
In summer 2010, the awarding organisation EDI plc also became part of Pearson. From April 2013, all qualifications that would have been regulated as part of EDI will be the responsibility of Pearson Education Limited.
With this in mind, we've decided that now is the right time to apply the Pearson name to all of our awarding activities.
So, from 3 April 2013, our awarding organisation listing on the Register for Regulated Qualifications is ‘Pearson’ rather than Edexcel. All Pearson qualifications will begin with Pearson in their title, followed by our existing brands (BTEC, Edexcel, EDI and LCCI). An Edexcel GCSE in Mathematics will be a Pearson Edexcel GCSE in Mathematics; similarly, the title of a BTEC qualification will be 'Pearson BTEC Level 2 in Art and Design', for example.
What does this mean for you?
In practical terms, this now means:
- On the Register of Regulated Qualifications our qualifications will be listed under Pearson as the awarding organisation, although Edexcel, BTEC, EDI and LCCI will be searchable in the qualification title box.
- We’re in the process of changing all Pearson Education Limited qualification titles so they start with the preface ‘Pearson’ on RITs (Ofqual's regulated qualifications listing system). We’ll continue to use the names Edexcel, BTEC, LCCI and others, but prefaced by Pearson to make it clear who the awarding organisation is in official titles. You’ll see these changes to qualification titles over time on a range of documents, including specifications, sample assessment materials and certificates.
- If you're in Scotland, you may also notice some changes to our qualification titles. Pearson Education Limited qualifications offered in Scotland will start with 'Pearson'. However, there will be no titling change to Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs), as these don't carry the awarding organisation name.
- Some documents and letters you’d previously have received from Edexcel will now be from Pearson.
- Employees and consultants supporting our awarding organisation, such as Assessment Associates, will no longer be described as working ‘for Edexcel’, but as working for Pearson Qualifications Services. This reflects the fact that these employees work to support our full range of products, not just those from Edexcel.
You’ll notice changes to reflect our new approach over the next few months, although some things (our web presence for example) will take longer to change. We hope you'll bear with us as we continue to work towards a single identity for our awarding organisation.
Frequently asked questions
Does Edexcel still exist?
Yes. Edexcel is a product brand from Pearson. BTEC, EDI and LCCI are also product brands from Pearson. The business unit within Pearson that was known as Edexcel is now Pearson Qualification Services.
What is Pearson Qualification Services?
Pearson Qualification Services is the department and teams within Pearson that develop and support the full range of Edexcel, BTEC and EDI qualifications.
Are your qualifications still accredited in the same way?
Will your qualifications still be recognised by universities and employers?
How does this affect qualifications in Scotland?
The Scottish Qualifications Authority also recognises our awarding organisation name as Pearson. Scottish BTECs will now have Pearson in the official title and existing Edexcel qualifications will also have Pearson in the official title. There will be no titling change to Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) as these do not carry the awarding organisation name.
How will Pearson support me to deliver qualifications?
We’ll continue to use the existing systems to deliver Edexcel and BTEC qualifications. Edexcel Online will continue as a service for administrators, providing support at every stage of the qualification cycle. We’re currently working to bring together all our Pearson systems to improve and streamline the way we communicate with you, and we’ll keep you updated and involved as we make progress with this.
Can I still use ResultsPlus?
Yes. Your Edexcel Online username and password will continue to give you access to ResultsPlus.
Will this change affect learners in any way?
No. There will be no impact on learners or the way you register a learner for a qualification. However, over time you'll see changes to the title of the qualification on documents and certificates as Pearson qualifications will begin with Pearson in the title, followed by our existing brands like BTEC, Edexcel, EDI and LCCI. For example, an Edexcel GCSE in Mathematics will be a Pearson Edexcel GCSE in Mathematics; similarly, the title of a BTEC qualification will be 'Pearson BTEC Level 2 in Art and Design'.
Am I still an Edexcel, BTEC or EDI Approved Centre?
Yes. Nothing is changing in the way we approve centres to deliver our qualifications, and you’ll continue to be an Edexcel, BTEC or EDI Approved Centre.