Pearson's Lesley Davies has been awarded an OBE in the 2015 Queen's Birthday Honours List, in recognition of a lifetime of service to the education sector.
Lesley's career in education spans 25 years, working first as a teacher and manager in general further education before moving into inspection and policy development. Prior to joining Pearson in 2012, she held senior posts at the Association of Colleges and the Learning and Skills Council.
Lesley is also a trustee for crime reduction charity, NACRO, and CVQO, the education charity which helps young people through vocational training and development.
As Vice President for Quality, Standards and Research, she oversees Pearson's UK qualifications, delivered worldwide.
I am thrilled, and a little shocked, to receive this incredible honour. I can't imagine having worked in anything but education for the past 25 years. I feel so lucky to have had such a rewarding career so far, working alongside so many inspiring young people and colleagues.
I have known Lesley for many years, and most recently as a wise and wonderful colleague here at Pearson. I can't think of anyone more deserving of this award. It recognises Lesley's service to the further education sector in particular, but with Lesley it's not about 'sectors' - we know it's about the children and young adults she has helped make more of their life than they would have done if they had not known her.
Rod Bristow, President of Pearson UK and Core Markets
About Lesley Davies
- Lesley has worked in education for the past 25 years.
- She joined Pearson in 2012 from the Association of Colleges (AOC), where she was Deputy Chief Executive.
- Her background is in teaching and she worked as a Senior Manager at a General Further Education College before moving into inspection and policy development.
- At the Learning and Skills Council she was the national director for quality and she led the development of the Framework for Excellence.
- Lesley is also a trustee for NACRO and CVQO and works extensively on supporting women into leadership.