Mastering Engineering is an integral part of the undergraduate engineering course at the University of Hull. In a changing university landscape and with changing student behaviours, it continues to:
• promote student engagement
• provide added value to students through flexible access to online learning materials
• allow lecturers to detect patterns of student understanding in different topic areas
• allow lecturers to monitor their students’ achievement and ensure they are continuing to progress, especially in more difficult topics
• offer support and encouragement to any students that are not engaging early in the course
• mobilises student participation in learning activities throughout the course.
This study indicates that when Mastering Engineering is well integrated by staff and students, it produces consistently positive results and positive student feedback over time.
What is Mastering Engineering?
Mastering Engineering is a digital learning resource designed to work alongside specific print or eBooks. It provides a variety of different question types which can be studied independently or assigned by the lecturer as formative or summative assessment.
Tutorials guide students through engineering concepts in multi-step problems, which also provide feedback specific to students’ errors, and optional ‘Help Me Solve This’ hints break down the problems into smaller steps.
Find out more about Mastering Engineering