The university has used Mastering Biology for more than seven years and has been well integrated into the course.
According to data collected by lecturer Louise Beard, Mastering Biology as had an impact on student attainment. Annual feedback showed the majority of students found Mastering to be helpful to their understanding, enjoyment and learning on the course.
Other findings included:
- Average scores on all aspects of the course (exam, coursework and MCQ) increased since mastering was introduced - even though Mastering is only used in the coursework element
- Student engagement was shown to be much higher in compulsory, credit-bearing assigned work (90% of students) when compared to revision (non-compulsory) work (25% of students completed)
- Student feedback demonstrated how highly the student valued Mastering Biology
- Student feedback demonstrates student satisfaction
"Favourite module of first year. Range of topics were covered and taught very well. I especially enjoyed the revision available on Mastering Biology."
- Student, University of Essex