As part of a partnership with Pearson, Northumbria University’s popular Distance Learning MSc in Surveying
was redesigned in the academic year 2018–19.
Research was conducted to understand the student experience when studying on this fully online programme before and after the redesign process.
Here we share our 5 tips to build community within an online course; that serves to be functional, productive and supportive for both students and faculty.
1. Create a productive, formal and collaborative learning space
2. Consider the size of your discussion forums
3. Teacher presence is essential to success
4. Not all students will be able to actively participate in your community
5. Help students manage their informal communities