MyLab MathPlus for Basic math w/Early Integers
Basic College Mathematics with Early Integers is a new addition to the Martin-Gay worktext series. This text is designed for a 1-semester basic math courses in which an early introduction of integers is desired. Integers are introduced in chapter 2, and students continue to work with them throughout the text. This gives students ample opportunity to practice operations with integers and to become comfortable with them, prior to being introduced to algebra in chapter 7, Equations.
This product is part of the following series. Click on a series title to see the full list of products in the series.
Is this going to be on the test? How many times have you been asked that question? Is it because your students are worried about studying the right things so there aren’t any surprises? When are your students studying for the test? Is it late the night before your in-class exam and does their anxiety build as they realize they aren’t prepared?
- Elayn wants to helps students when they are studying for their test… when they are at their most “teachable moment”… and so she has created the Chapter Test Prep Video CD – (NEW)! Elayn is the innovator of this great new resource which is found inside the front cover of the textbook. The Chapter Test Prep Video CD contains video of Elayn working out the solutions to each and every problem on the chapter tests in the corresponding textbook. So students can work the chapter test and when they get stuck they can refer to the video to get help from the author herself! If you would like to replicate a new version of the Chapter test, you can do so using out TestGen software… we’ve included algorithmic versions of the Chapter Test files so you can easily replicate the chapter test with consistent, algorithmically generated problem types.
- Elayn also wants to encourage students to prepare earlier and so she offers Integrated Reviews which are unique mid-chapter exercise sets that appear at logical breaking points in the chapter. Working these exercises will help students assimilate new skills and concepts that they have learned separately over several sections.
- Elayn also introduces Mixed Practice Exercises (NEW) to her exercise sets! These exercises require students to identify the problem type and determine what strategy to use in solving it… just as they would need to do on a test or exam! So now you have an easy way to encourage earlier and more frequent test preparation.
- To provide instructors will plenty of exercises that help students to study the material as they go, Elayn offers Chapter Review Exercises that are keyed to the sections of the chapter as well as a set of Mixed Review Exercises that are not keyed to the sections. She also offers Cumulative Review Exercises that cover the chapters up to and including the current one.
How are your students study skills? Are poor study skills impacting your students’ ability pass this course on the first attempt?
- Elayn is passionate about helping every student succeed and wants to make it easy for your to integrate effective study skills into your math course. She begins the textbook with Section 1.1: Tips for Success in Mathematics, a section that allows you to efficiently cover student success topics such as Getting Ready for the Course, Using the Textbook Effectively, Preparing for and Taking Exams and Managing Your Time. With this Section, you now have an easy way to assign some study skill problems and activities that will be sure to benefit your students.
- And now you can easily reinforce good study skills throughout the semester with Elayn’s Study Skill Builders (NEW)! Formerly known as study skill reminders, Elayn has now made these assignable exercises! Found throughout the textbook at the end of many exercise sets, they reinforce the material found in Section 1.1: Tips for Success in Mathematics. So now you can assign exercises that will help students improve their study skills and take responsibility for their part of the learning process.
Are your students struggling to see how all the mathematical concepts relate? How are you encouraging your students to take an active role in understanding the mathematical concepts they are learning?
- To help students prepare for success in their current course and the one that follows, Elayn introduces The Bigger Picture (NEW)! The Bigger Picture is a recurring feature, found at the end of appropriate exercise sets, that has the students create (and then continually expand) a working outline of the main concepts of the course. After the student creates the new portion of their outline they are then asked to work appropriate exercises. By developing the outline and working the exercises, students can begin to transition from thinking “section-by-section” to thinking about how the mathematics in the course is part of the “bigger picture” of mathematics in general!
- Elayn also includes Concept Checks following key in-text examples to allow students to pause and check if they are grasping the concept being developed before moving on to the next example. To build upon the Concept Checks, Concept Check Exercises (NEW) have been added to the section exercise sets. The Annotated Instructor’s Edition includes instructor references from the Concept Checks to the related exercises so you can easily select which you want to assign! And Concept Extensions (NEW) are included in the exercise sets to “extend” the concepts and require students to combine several skills or concepts.
After you work a problem on the board do you then have your students work problems on their own or in groups? Why? Is it to give them an opportunity to practice what they just learned?
- Elayn provides a Practice Problem in the margin next to each worked-out example so students can immediately reinforce a skill after it is developed. Assign these problems as a means of inviting your students to get involved in the learning process before beginning the end-of-section exercise sets.
Do you often give hints, tips and reminders to your students during class and your one-on-one time with them?
- Elayn offers Helpful Hints of practice advice on applying mathematical concepts throughout the text… they are strategically placed where students are most likely to need immediate reinforcement.
How comfortable are your students with mathematical terms?
- At the end of every chapter, Elayn includes Vocabulary Checks so students have an opportunity to become more familiar with the use of mathematical terms as they strengthen their verbal skills.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1-The Whole Numbers
1.1 Tips for Success in Mathematics
1.2 Place Value and Names for Numbers
1.3 Adding Whole Numbers and Perimeter
1.4 Subtracting Whole Numbers
1.5 Rounding and Estimating
1.6 Multiplying Whole Numbers and Area
1.7 Dividing Whole Numbers
Integrated Review — Operations on Whole Numbers
1.8 An Introduction to Problem Solving
1.9 Exponents, Square Roots, and Order of Operations
Chapter 2 — Integers and Introduction to Variables
2.1 Introduction to Variables and Algebraic Expressions
2.2 Introduction to Integers
2.3 Adding Integers
2.4 Subtracting Integers
Integrated Review — Integers
2.5 Multiplying and Dividing Integers
2.6 Order of Operations
Chapter 3 — Fractions
3.1 Introduction to Fractions and Mixed Numbers
3.2 Factors and Simplest Form
3.3 Multiplying and Dividing Fractions
3.4 Adding and Subtracting like Fractions and LCD (Least
Integrated Review — Summary on Fractions and Operations on Fractions
3.5 Adding and Subtracting Unlike Fractions
3.6 Complex Fractions, Order of Operations, and Mixed Numbers
3.7 Operations on Mixed Numbers
Chapter 4 — Decimals
4.1 Introduction to Decimals
4.2 Adding and Subtracting Decimals
4.3 Multiplying Decimals and Circumference of a Circle
4.4 Dividing Decimals
Integrated Review — Operations on Decimals
4.5 Fractions, Decimals and Order of Operations
4.6 Square Roots and the Pythagorean Theorem
Chapter 5 — Ratio, Proportion, and Measurement
5.3 Proportions and Problem Solving
Integrated Review — Ratio and Proportion
5.4 Length: U.S. and Metric Systems
5.5 Weight and Mass: U.S. and Metric Systems
5.6 Capacity: U.S. and Metric Systems
5.7 Conversions Between the U.S. and Metric Systems
Chapter 6 — Percent
6.1 Percents, Decimals, and Fractions
6.2 Solving Percent Problems Using Equations
6.3 Solving Percent Problems Using Proportions
Integrated Review — Percent and Percent
6.4 Applications of Percent
6.5 Percent and Problem Solving: Sales Tax, Commission, and 6.6 Discount
6.7 Percent and Problem Solving: Interest
Chapter 7 — Statistics and Probability
7.1 Reading Pictographs, Bar Graphs, Histograms, and Line Graphs
7.2 Reading Circle Graphs
Integrated Review — Reading Graphs
7.3 Mean, Median, and Mode
7.4 Counting and Introduction to Probability
8.1 Introduction to Variable Expressions
8.2 Solving Equations: The Addition Property
8.3 Solving Equations: The Multiplication Property
Integrated Review — Expressions and Equations
8.4 Solving Equations with Both Properties
8.5 Equations and Problem Solving
Chapter 9 — Geometry
9.1 Lines and Angles
9.2 Plane Figures and Solids
9.5 Volume and Surface Area
Integrated Review — Geometry Concepts
9.6 Congruent and Similar Triangles
1. Addition Table and One Hundred Addition Facts
2. Multiplication Table and One Hundred Multiplication
3. Table of Geometric Figures
4. Table of Percent, Decimal, and Fraction Equivalents
5. Table on Finding Common Percents of a Number
6. Table of Squares and Square Roots
7. Compound Interest Table
B. The Bigger Picture
C. Exponents and Polynomials
1. Adding and Subtracting Polynomials
2. Multiplication Properties of Exponents
3. Multiplying Polynomials
Websites and online courses
MyLab MathPlus for Basic math w/Early Integers
|Online purchase price||$110.95|
Other Student Resources
Basic Math Review Card, 2nd Edition
Pearson Education & Pearson Education
|Suggested retail price||$6.65|
Discovering Algebra: Examples with Keystrokes on the TI-83/TI-82 and TI-85/TI-86, A Laboratory Approach
Pirich & Bigliani
©1997  | 208 pp
Pearson offers special pricing when you package your text with other student resources. If you're interested in creating a cost-saving package for your students, contact your Pearson rep.
About the Author(s)
Elayn Martin-Gay, University of New Orleans
An award-winning instructor and best-selling author, Elayn Martin-Gay has taught mathematics at the University of New Orleans for more than 25 years. Her numerous teaching awards include the local University Alumni Association’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, and Outstanding Developmental Educator at University of New Orleans, presented by the Louisiana Association of Developmental Educators.
Prentice Hall is pleased to announce the new Third Editions of Basic College Mathematics, Introductory Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, and Algebra A Combined Approach and two new first editions, Basic College Mathematics with Early Integers, and Developmental Mathematics. Elayn Martin-Gay also authors a best-selling ©2005 hardback series in developmental mathematics.
Prior to writing textbooks, Elayn developed an acclaimed series of lecture videos to support developmental mathematics students in their quest for success. These highly successful videos originally served as the foundation material for her texts. Today, the videos are specific to each book in the Martin-Gay series. Elayn also originated the Chapter Test Prep Video CDs to help students during their most “teachable moment” ---as they prepare for a test.
Elayn’s experience has made her aware of how busy instructors are and what a difference quality supports make. For this reason, she created the Instructor-to-Instructor video series. These videos provide instructors with suggestions for presenting specific math topic and concepts in basic mathematics, prealgebra, beginning algebra, and intermediate algebra. Seasoned instructors can use them as a source for alternate approaches in the classroom. New or adjunct faculty may find the CDs useful for review. They are a great resource for suggestions regarding areas they may wish to emphasize, or common trouble areas students experience, that instructors my wish to highlight.
With her textbooks series, the Chapter Test Prep Video Cd, and CD Lecture series, Elayn has sought to put success within the reach of every student and instructor.
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
Instructor resource file download
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.