Year of Obama, The: How Barack Obama Won the White House
©2010 |Pearson | Out of print
Larry J. Sabato, University of Virginia
©2010 |Pearson | Out of print
Best-selling author Larry J. Sabato once again brings together the nation's most perceptive analysts and shrewdest observers of American politics to analyze our most recent election: the historic election of Barack Obama to the presidency of the United States.
This revealing new book by Larry Sabato and his team of experts contains exciting coverage and trenchant commentary on the most stunning election of our time. Peeling back the layers of the political, social, and demographic trends that helped thrust Barack Obama into the Oval Office, the authors of this book toss aside conventional wisdom about 2008 and substitute thoughtful, deeper - and until now, ignored - interpretations of the events and environment that elected our new president.
- Includes contributed chapters from some of the foremost analysts and scholars who had a front row seat for the campaigns and election, including Justin Sizemore, Rhodes Cook, Alan Abramowitz, Bruce Larson, Michael Toner, Diana Owen, Jeff Gulati, Michael Cornfield, Alex Theodoridis, and Susan MacManus. Each author presents different perspectives on the results, and the resulting mosaic gives readers a comprehensive outlook on the election.
- Provides complete and engaging analysis of the most important issues and events leading to Barack Obama's election, including the political environment for Republicans, the impact of federal election law, state and party rules, the conventions, the impact of "traditional" and "new" media, and the use of new technologies. The authors avoid trendy, tired, and overused political commentary and instead focus on pragmatic research and analysis with practical applications for the reader.
- Features original chapters written by Larry Sabato, a nationally renowned election scholar and commentator.
- Connects the reader with additional sources of information and opinion beyond the content of the book.
- Offers as much for the classroom as it does for the casual reader.
1. Conventions: The Significance of an American Institution
2. The Election of Our Lifetime
3. From Republican Lock to Republican Lockout
4. How Obama Won and What It Means
5. The Congressional and Gubernatorial Candidates
6. The Impact of Federal Election Law in 2008
7. Media in the 2008 Election: 21st Century Campaign
8. The New Media Environment and the 2008 Election
9. New Technology and the 2008 Election
10. Did the Rules Decide?
Pearson offers affordable and accessible purchase options to meet the needs of your students. Connect with us to learn more.
K12 Educators: Contact your Savvas Learning Company Account General Manager for purchase options. Instant Access ISBNs are for individuals purchasing with credit cards or PayPal.
Savvas Learning Company is a trademark of Savvas Learning Company LLC.
Larry J. Sabato is the founder and director of the Center for Politics and the Robert Kent Gooch professor of Politics at the University of Virginia. He is the author of more than twenty books including Feeding Frenzy: Attack Journalism & American Politics, The Sixth Year Itch: The Rise and Fall of the George W. Bush Presidency, and A More Perfect Constitution: 23 Proposals to Revitalize our Constitution and Make America A Fairer Country.
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.