Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why did Professor Crystal Drum adopt MyLab Accounting?
Previously Drum utilized a competitor’s digital program, but there were many challenges for her and her students. Believing that practice and repetition is necessary for student success in Accounting, Drum identified MyLab Accounting as a possible solution for her students, offering them varied opportunities for practice and review. In Fall 2010, she adopted MyLab for her classes.
How was MyLab Accounting implemented?
Principles of Managerial Accounting is a four-credit, one-semester course. Aside from in class assignments and quizzes, and three tests, MyLab Accounting homework and Dynamic Study Modules are used. MyLab Accounting accounts for 20% of the total course grade.
- MyLab homework: MyLab Accounting is required, and Drum creates her MyLab homework using end-of-chapter problems. There is one assignment per chapter, students have unlimited attempts and learning aids are turned on.
- Dynamic Study Modules (DSM): Drum offered her student extra credit in the form of points added to test scores if they complete the DSMs.
Were students successful in the course?
Students were divided into two groups based on median MyLab homework score.
- Students earning MyLab homework scores above the median had average final course grades 15 percentage points higher than students who earned below the median.
In addition, students exhibiting overall course success (A, B, or C as final course grade) had average MyLab homework scores 12 percentage points higher than students who earned a D or F as the final course grade.
Did students like using MyLab Accounting?
Responses from the Pearson Student MyLab Accounting Survey Fall 2016 taken by 4,608 students nationally, from both two- and four-year schools, produced the following results:
- 90 percent of respondents who used the Dynamic Study Modules found them helpful in preparing for exams.
- 87 percent of respondents reported that MyLab helped them achieve a higher grade on homework, exams, and/or the course.
One student said:
“MyLab has helped me to earn higher grades because it has so many useful tools. I love the Study Plan! If there is something I am struggling on or need more help with, I’ll look it up in the Study Plan and practice.”
Learn more about how MyLab Accounting could benefit your course