Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why did Professor Chris Vegter utilize MyLab?
Vegter adopted MyLab MIS and MyLab IT as an optional course component in Fall 2016 to hold students accountable for reading and understanding basic course concepts prior to attending class. However, students continued to attend class regularly without reading or interacting with the chapter material, so in Fall 2017, MyLab became a required component of the course.
How was MyLab implemented?
Information Systems is a one-semester, three-credit, junior- and senior-level course. Students use MyLab for understanding content, homework assignments, and quizzing.
MyLab MIS assignments: Account for 21% of the total course grade.
- 13 Dynamic Study Modules (DSM): Students complete the DSM continually throughout the week, but their final submission is due by 4 p.m. Friday.
- 13 quizzes: Assigned weekly, each comprised of 12 multiple-choice and three true/false questions. Students have nine minutes and one attempt for completion.
MyLab IT assignments: Account for 33.5% of the total course grade.
- 9 Simulation Trainings: Assignments provide an authentic learning experience with realistic skill-based training and assessment and are completed prior to attending lecture.
- 18 Grader Projects: Two types are assigned – Walkthrough Grader Projects and Challenge Grader Projects.
- Nine walkthrough: Students have three attempts at completion, and the projects are recorded so students can view and review them as needed.
- Nine challenge: Students have one week and two attempts for completion of these summative assignments.
Were students successful in the course?
Data looks at the exam success rate, defined as earning an A, B, or C exam average based on average MyLab quiz scores:
- 55% of students with MyLab quiz scores above average showed mastery of chapter content by earning an average exam grade of A/B/C.
Grouping students based on the average score of 12 Access Grader Projects identifies the following:
- Students scoring above average on Access Grader Project assignments earned average Access exam scores five percentage points higher than students who scored below average.
Did students like MyLab?
Responses from the end-of-semester MyLab MIS and MyLab IT survey of Vegter’s students indicate that the majority of responding students recognize the value of MyLab:
- 90% of respondents agreed that their understanding of the MIS course material increased as a result of using MyLab MIS.
- 95% of respondents agreed that their ability to successfully use Excel and Access increased as a result of using MyLab IT.
One student said:
“MyLab gave me a lot of experience and practice using the Microsoft Office programs. I felt prepared and knew what I was doing when I completed my graded assignments.”
Read the full findings here
Learn more about how MyLab MIS could benefit your course
Learn more about how MyLab IT could benefit your course