Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why did Professor Dr. Gary Bliss adopt MyLab Business Statistics?
Dr. Bliss was reassigned to large lecture sections in Fall 2016 and looked for a digital solution for grading but found a competitor’s text and digital homework program disappointing. Therefore, in Spring 2017 he decided to create all his own content through the school Learning Management System (LMS). However, it did not offer the student support he was looking for. As Fall 2017 approached, Bliss reviewed the Pearson MyLab system along with a competitor’s program and chose to adopt MyLab Business Statistics for the student support it offered.
How was MyLab Business Statistics implemented?
Quantitative Methods is a one-semester, three-credit course required of most business students. Weekly MyLab homework is based on learning objectives and chosen using question metrics. Each assignment consists of approximately 10 multi-part problems and several multiple-choice conceptual questions. Students have unlimited attempts at completion, learning aids are turned on, and no late assignments are accepted.
In addition to the 11 MyLab homework assignments, other assessments include three exams. MyLab assignments account for 15% of the total course grade.
Were students successful in the course?
After implementation of MyLab, substantially more students earned higher final course grades and fewer students failed the course.
- In Spring 2018, using MyLab, 62% of students earned an A or B as their final course grade.
- In Fall 2017, using MyLab, 58% of students earned an A or B as their final course grade.
- In Spring 2017, using LMS, 42% of students earned an A or B as their final course grade.
- In Fall 2016, using competitor’s digital program, 45% of students earned an A or B as their final course grade.
In addition, students completing all MyLab assignments earned average exam scores one full letter grade, or 10 percentage points, higher than students who skipped at least one assignment.
Did students like using MyLab Business Statistics?
Responses from the Spring 2018 end-of-semester survey of Bliss’s students indicate that the majority of responding students recognize the value of MyLab Business Statistics.
- 84% of respondents agreed that MyLab provided additional resources that helped them learn more than they would have from traditional paper-and-pencil homework.
- 83% of respondents agreed that their understanding of the course material increased as a result of using MyLab.
One student said:
“The biggest resource in MyLab is being able to look at a similar problem while working on the homework [View an Example].”
Read the full findings here
Learn more about how MyLab Business Statistics could benefit your course