Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why did Professor Connie Hardgrove adopt MyLab Accounting?
Hardgrove met with her Pearson representative in approximately 2013 to learn more about the MyLab Accounting digital program. She hoped that MyLab would be able to remove the task of hand-grading assignments, which had become unmanageable as the number of students she taught each semester increased. She recognized that a variety of MyLab resources could be used for group work in class as well. Hardgrove adopted MyLab for Fall 2013 classes.
How was MyLab Accounting implemented?
Financial Accounting is a three-credit, one-semester course that is the first semester of a two-semester sequence. Students use MyLab for understanding content, homework assignments, and additional practice. MyLab accounts for 64% of the total course grade.
- MyLab homework: Students complete five multi-part problems per homework assignment. Students have three attempts at completion with the final attempt being recorded and learning aids are turned on.
- Accounting Cycle Tutorial (ACT): ACT is an interactive 10-step tutorial assignment. Students move through practice to mastery based on percentage points and have unlimited attempts.
- Exams and quizzes: Students also complete nine MyLab quizzes and two MyLab exams. Each exam is comprised of 30 multiple-choice questions from the Pearson test bank.
Were students successful in the course?
Students were divided into two groups based on their average Accounting Cycle Tutorial score.
- Students who scored above average on the ACT assignment earned average exam scores eight percentage points higher than students who scored below average.
In addition, a very strong positive correlation exists between average MyLab homework scores and average MyLab quiz scores and MyLab quiz scores and average MyLab exam scores.
Did students like using MyLab Accounting?
Responses from the Spring 2017 end-of-semester survey of Hardgrove’s students indicate that the majority of responding students recognize the value of MyLab Accounting.
- 88 percent of respondents strongly agreed or agreed that use of MyLab positively impacted their exam scores.
- 84 percent of respondents strongly agreed or agreed that their understanding of the course material increased as a result of using MyLab.
One student said:
“MyLab provides videos of information contained in the text for those who prefer or learn better with audio/visuals. The Study Plan is a helpful tool to practice prior to completing the chapter assignments and tests.”
Read the full findings here
Learn more about how MyLab Accounting could benefit your course