Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why did Professor Jens Schubert adopt MyLab Economics?
Schubert strongly believes that problem solving through homework will help students be successful and sought an online assessment solution that provides a variety of ways for students to engage with course material outside of the classroom. With that in mind, he adopted MyLab Economics with Learning Catalytics (LC) for his large sections of Micro and/or Macroeconomics in Fall 2016.
How was MyLab Economics implemented?
Professor Schubert devotes the first day of class to introducing and demonstrating the features of the MyLab learning platform. He uses the MyLab question metrics when he creates a homework assignment. MyLab homework problems include the following:
- Students complete weekly assignments comprised of approximately 20 questions.
- Questions consist of a mix of multi-step quantitative problems, graphing exercises, and multiple-choice.
- Learning aids are turned on.
Generally, 4 to 6 LC questions are asked per lecture, using numerical response, multiple-choice, and graphing question types. MyLab homework assignments and LC in-class exercises account for 30% of the total course grade.
Were students successful in the course?
Students were divided into two groups based on their average Learning Catalytics score.
- Students who scored above average on the LC exercises earned average exam scores seven percentage points higher than students who scored below average.
- Students who scored above average on the LC exercises earned average final course scores 11 percentage points higher than students who scored below average.
Did students like using MyLab Economics?
Responses from the Spring 2017 end-of-semester survey of Professor Schubert’s students indicate that the majority of responding students recognize the value of MyLab Economics.
- 96% of respondents agreed that their understanding of the course material increased as a result of using MyLab.
- 85% of respondents agreed that use of MyLab positively impacted their exam scores.
One student said:
“I liked MyLab much better than other programs we used for homework. It’s easy to understand and comes with many resources that help students.”
Read the full findings here
Learn more about how MyLab Economics could benefit your course