Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why did Professor Kyle Stone adopt MyLab Operations Management?
Stone had been requiring and hand grading work prior to Fall 2016 and having used MyLab in another course, Stone was aware of MyLab’s ability to provide instant feedback and automatic grading, two keys to success that could not be accomplished with paper-and-pencil assignments.
How was MyLab Operations Management implemented?
Operations Management is a one-semester, three-credit course offered face to face and online. MyLab Operations Management is required and used for homework assignments and additional clarification of chapter content. MyLab homework assignments are completed post lecture, have required due dates, and consist of the following features:
- Problem sets: They typically include two or three multi-part numeric problems, students have three attempts at completion, and learning aids are turned on.
- Video case studies: After reviewing the video in MyLab, students are required to complete at least a 150-word written response to each of the questions.
- Simulations: They take approximately 20 minutes and students have multiple attempts at completion.
MyLab assignments account for 57% of the course grade.
Were students successful in the course?
Grouping students based on completion of MyLab problem set assignments identifies the following:
- 81% of students completing all MyLab problem set assignments earned an A as their final course grade.
Students were divided into two groups based on the average MyLab problem set score of 89%.
- Students who earned above average MyLab scores had average exam scores 4 percentage points higher than students who scored below average.
Did students like using MyLab Operations Management?
Responses from the Fall 2017 end-of-semester survey of Stone’s students indicate that the majority of responding students recognize the value of MyLab Operation Management.
- 100% of respondents agreed that their understanding of the course material increased as a result of using MyLab.
- 100% of respondents agreed that MyLab provided additional resources that helped them learn more than they would have from traditional paper-and-pencil homework.
When asked what the benefits of MyLab were, one student said:
“The fact that the homework was actually engaging. When I didn't understand problem sets, the examples and interactive options helped me work through it almost as if a teacher was there.”
Read the full findings here
Learn more about how MyLab Operations Management could benefit your course