Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why does Professor Ruthmae Sears utilize MyLab Math?
Prior faculty was using MyLab Math, but Sears hoped that the inclusion of workspace, with its ability to record a student’s steps to the solution or answer for a problem, would allow instructors to isolate a student’s weaknesses and address their mistakes. Faculty also surmised workspace would alleviate academic load.
How was MyLab Math implemented?
Student knowledge is assessed using a variety of tools in MyLab. All assignments must be completed by their designated due dates and may not be revised for resubmission after the due date. Graded online homework, workspace assignments, and quizzes—all delivered in MyLab—are collectively worth 20 percent of a student’s final course grade.
- Homework: MyLab homework assignments can be repeated an unlimited number of times prior to their due dates.
- Workspace assignments: Students may do weekly workspace assignments twice, with the higher of the two scores counting towards their final grade.
- Online quizzes: MyLab quizzes can be taken up to three times each, with the highest score used to calculate the course average for that particular quiz.
Were students successful in the course?
Sears and her team feel that the inclusion of workspace assignments as a requirement in the course has had great impact.
Data show strong correlations between the workspace assignments in MyLab and a student’s final exam score, as well as workspace assignments and a student’s final overall score for the course.
Do students like using MyLab Math?
In a voluntary student survey, students were asked their opinions on using MyLab Math.
- 86 percent of responding students found MyLab helpful in preparing them for exams.
- 81 percent of responding students found MyLab helpful in providing adequate practice.
One student said:
“It helped me understand concepts that I wouldn’t understand otherwise if I was just using the textbook.”
Read the full findings here
Learn more about how MyLab Math could benefit your course