Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why did faulty adopt MyLab Math?
Finite Math Coordinator Brian Rickard and Director of Fulbright Student Success Deb Korth adopted MyLab Math in MyLabsPlus, with the hopes to flip the classroom and assign pre-class work so that students would do the calculation exercises on their own time and come to class prepared algebraically to cover more applications.
How was MyLab Math implemented?
Rickard’s Finite Math students have just one access code and a single sign-on process instead of the need to log in to Blackboard and additionally sign in to MyLab Math. This results in a simple way for students to start their MyLab assignments, ensuring that they are ready to work from the first day of class.
Course components using MyLabsPlus
There are several course components where MyLabsPlus is utilized, including:
- Course entry quiz: Students must score 100 percent on a course entry quiz before they can work in MyLabsPlus.
- Pre-class assignments: Prior to each class, students have a pre-class assignment in MyLabsPlus.
- Online quizzes: There are ten graded online quizzes that students take outside of class time using MyLabsPlus, are given three attempts, with the highest score counted.
- Prerequisite for each test: Students are required to complete a pre-test homework to at least 90 percent before MyLab will allow them access to the test.
- Testing: There are four 100-point tests taken through MyLabsPlus and students are given 75 minutes to complete each test.
- Final exam: The final exam is scheduled and is taken on the computer through MyLabsPlus.
Tools for instructors
In addition to MyLab’s prerequisites and learning aids regulation functions, Rickard takes advantage of Item Analysis and the Reporting Dashboard in MyLab Math.
- Item Analysis: Used to make sure that pooled questions are similarly difficult and find test questions that students may have struggled with in order to make adjustments for next semester.
- Reporting dashboard: Used to look at quiz and test averages and attendance.
Were students successful in the course?
Student pass rates in Finite Math were compiled for Fall 2010–Spring 2017 to analyze pre- and post-flipped implementation results.
- After full implementation of the flipped course model using MyLab Math, ABC rates rose six percentage points to 71 percent.
- For students receiving an A in Finite Math, 13 percent of pre-flipped course students earned an A in Data Analysis compared to 15 percent in the post-flipped course.
Did students like the flipped course model using MyLab Math?
Responses from a Spring 2017 end-of-semester, voluntary survey of Finite Math students indicate that the flipped classroom accomplished its goal of getting students prepared before class and students valued MyLab Math.
- 95% of respondents said they usually or always completed the pre-class assignments before class.
- 76% of respondents said their understanding of course material increased as a result of using MyLab Math.
One student said:
“I love MyLabsPlus because you can go at your own pace and any questions you have will most likely be solved within the site.”
Read the full findings here
Learn more about how MyLab Math could benefit your course