Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why does Professor Rick Street utilize MyLab Accounting?
MyLab Accounting was originally adopted in 2007 to hold students accountable for their own homework progress. However, when the department was tasked with creating an online course, MyLab offered additional benefits, such as a flexible testing schedule and auto-graded homework.
How was MyLab Accounting implemented?
Principles of Accounting I is a five-credit, one quarter course that is the first semester of a two-semester sequence. MyLab Accounting is required, makes up 100% of the total course grade, and includes the following:
- DemoDocs: They must be reviewed before attempting Homework Assignment 1 and can be replayed at any time.
- Homework: Assignment 1 consists of algorithmic problems. Students have unlimited attempts and learning aids are turned on. Assignment 2 is comprised of five multi-part problems. Students may use Check My Work up to three times for each part of the problem, but only have one attempt at completion of the full problem. Prior to attempting Homework 2, students must earn at least 25 percent on Homework 1.
- Dynamic Study Modules (DSM): As a prerequisite to taking the MyLab chapter quiz, students must earn at least 80 percent on the Dynamic Study Modules.
- Quizzes: They are comprised of 15 multiple-choice questions and two problems. Learning aids are turned off.
- Midterm and final exam: Both exams are comprised of 50 multiple-choice questions, and the final exam is cumulative.
Were students successful in the course?
Students were divided into two groups based on their average MyLab quiz score.
- Students who earned above average MyLab quiz scores had average exam scores 16 percentage points higher than students who scored below average.
Did students like using MyLab Accounting?
Responses from the Fall 2017 end-of-semester survey of Street’s students indicate that the majority of responding students recognize the value of MyLab Accounting.
- 95 percent of respondents strongly agreed or agreed that MyLab homework assignments positively impacted their quiz and exam scores.
One student said:
“The multiple attempts during the homework assignments turned into a tool for me to figure out what I did wrong and then learn from it.”
Read the full findings here
Learn more about how MyLab Accounting could benefit your course